"Beepless" Microwaves?

Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a small home.

Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business. But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we decided not to go through with the surgery!

So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

Reply to
tioga0630

I've sold these things since 1978 and I've never seen a silent one. I remember having the service department "de-bell" one several years ago because the owner had a dog that would run around in circles and "pee" on the kitchen floor every time the microwave sounded off. Tom.

Reply to
Tom

remember having the service department "de-bell" one several years ago because the owner had a dog that would run around in circles and "pee" on the kitchen floor every time the microwave sounded off.

Tom, you did my heart good! Thanks for letting me know we're not alone in this rebellion. Lord, you'd think microwave manufacturers were all descended from C3PO and R2D2!

Reply to
tioga0630

Hi,

You looking for a new ?counter? model, ?over the range? model.

My GE OTR microwave has a "mute" button....you can make the beeps louder, quieter or muted all together.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi, Jeff. I'll check out your website as soon as I'm through posting, but we need a countertop model. Thanks to you too. I never thought this post would get any replies at all, and it turns out it's gotten faster replies than any post I've made in 12+ years on Usenet!

Must mean there's a market for beepless appliances. How 'bout "The Quiet Woman/Man" line? :)

Reply to
tioga0630
1) Removing beeper element from is trivial. Open the pannel and cut the wire... Your repairman is full of if.

2) We have GE Spacemaker XL1600 it has a sound volume option: 0 - 3 ( 0 - mute )

Here is manual:

Search for beeper volume

Reply to
Brian

Our new Kenmore Model #80802 can have the beeper turned on or off for a variety of individual events, in addition to being able to adjust the volume or turning it off altogether.

But we have a different problem: there is no way to make it keep beeping as long as the old one did: the old one beeped until somebody silenced it, but the new one just beeps a few time, then stops.

Perce

On 03/31/05 07:20 am snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I do know that both Panasonic and LG make microwaves that have a "Sound" option. Simply turn it off and the only noise you get is the fan when it's running.

Reply to
Noozer

My 10-year-old Sharp Carousel microwave has an option to turn off all the beeps. A specific combination of keypresses activates that feature. IIRC it's ClockSet; 5; Start. Maybe you could try to find an online owner's manual for the latest model and see if it still has that feature. I would recommend that model, BTW. It has worked perfectly since the day I bought it.

Reply to
Bill

How about do-it-yourself surgery? Open it up, find the bell, snip a wire and tape it off, while avoiding electrocution.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Oh! My ribs are hurting. That is one strange mental image.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Compared the the rest of the noise a microwave oven makes, the relay engaging the magnetron, the blowers, the turntable, and the door opening and closing, the beeps have always been trivial for every microwave I've ever owned.

Maybe just getting used to it is a better solution?

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

My 35 year old Monkey Ward has a spirng wound timer and I figured out you can suppress the bell by advancing it slightly, just before it is going to go off and then turn it to zero.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is without a doubt the FUNNIEST thing I've heard in a long time.

I have the loudest microwave ever manufactured and many's the time I've wanted to toss it out yonder winder.

Reply to
Dee

Remove the cover (UNPLUG IT FIRST). Look for the speaker. Cut one of the two wires going to the speaker. Tape the end of the wire with electrical tape. Replace the cover. Enjoy your silent MW.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

-> Well, this group *is* alt.home.REPAIR, and our family would like to

-> repair some problems that arise from sensitive sleepers living in a

-> small home.

->

-> Are there any microwave ovens that do not beep, honk, clang, or

-> otherwise make noises? I located a small-appliance repairman who said

-> the removal of sound-making electronics from appliances--microwave more

-> than any other--actually comprised the largest part of his business.

-> But since the microwave we needed to have "de-belled" was old, we

-> decided not to go through with the surgery!

->

-> So if anyone here knows of any totally silent microwaves, I'd

-> appreciate hearing about them here. THanks.

Looking at it from another perspective: is there any reason the light sleepers can't wear ear plugs?

The soft, foam plugs are very cheap and not uncomfortable.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

OK, I had a very old one with a speaker. I suppose they are using those piezo things now to save money. The solution is to then unsolder at least one of the leads, or remove it entirely. Not too hard for someone that knows how to use a soldering iron.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Buy the microwave oven of your choice.

Remove cover. Find beeper. Unplug or cut.

Reply to
TCS

one other thing: don't touch any of the wiring going anywhere near the tube or capacators; there's lethal voltage there even when the oven has been off for days.

Best time for the debarking operation is before the oven has ever been powered up. The voltage will *probably* be discharged.

Reply to
TCS

The one I just pulled apart (out of curiosity) before throwing it out had no speaker and no wires. It had a piezoelectric device soldered to the circuit board.

Perce

On 04/01/05 12:19 am Gerry Atrick tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy