OT: Sittin' In The Car

My neighbors park their late model luxury SUVs in their driveway.

On just about every departure, they enter their vehicle and then sit there for several minutes (usually three to four) before driving off. On return, they pull up and sit there for about the same amount of time-- maybe a little less. No loading/off-loading packages, etc., just sitting there.

I can't see inside as their windows are dark-tinted. And I don't want to get labeled as the neighborhood busy-body-- so I haven't asked them about it :-)

Ideas for what's going on?

Reply to
Colour Sergeant Bourne

Leaving: setting up GPS Arriving: checking out messages

Reply to
badgolferman

That makes sense.

Reply to
Colour Sergeant Bourne

They could be logging data for tax deductions on business or medical trips.

Reply to
Bob F

In addition, some have the option of Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Then choosing your music from a USB stick or Spotify. Set phone in the wireless charging pad.

What I like on mine, if I want to use the navigation, I can find Points of Interest on either phone or computer and then "Send to Car" so not putzing around the screen in the car.

Reply to
Ed P

Waiting for the air locks to regulate the air pressure,

Reply to
micky

Or the rocket fuel to disperse.

Reply to
danny burstein

Colour Sergeant Bourne wrote on 1/14/2024 3:57 PM:

Warming up the engine before driving off is recommended for brand new cars to avoid excessive piston-to-cylinder wear due to new parts. This is a part of the breaking-in of the new engine.

Idling before shutting off the engine is recommended to prevent various engine sensors from cooking itself to death. When the engine fan is not running, there will be no airflow to cool down various sensors after a heavy duty hard ride.

I remember the days when I had my VW TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection) sedan, The engine fan would keep running after I had turned off the ignition. The fan was electric and it would shut itself off when the engine is cool enough (usually 5-20 minutes, depending on how hard was the ride and ambient temperature).

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It it's a turbo engine letting the turbo cool down before shutting doen the engine???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Don't think so-- neither sounds like one.

Reply to
Colour Sergeant Bourne

You never know. Unless you hear gunfire, I would relax.

Where I live, the cell phone reception is close to zero.

So I drive 6 miles into town and pull into a parking lot.

Where my reception is much better and I do my business in my car.

I try to minimize idling to reduce pollution, but some folks have money to burn.

Take care,

Andy

Reply to
AK