Yodel

Just witnessed a Yodel delivery van being push started in reverse down a narrow street with parked cars either side. Truly scary experience. They cannot be serious

Reply to
stuart noble

What did you expect? A text message with a google map with an icon of a little bloke pushing a van? You need DPD for that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

No they appear to be of that age old British tradition, do it on a shoestring and sod the customer. Probably run by ex royal Mail folk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was a miracle they didn't hit any parked cars, plus they left packaging strewn across the road. Can't believe such an outfit is still free to run wild

Reply to
stuart noble

Isn't it an owner-driver franchise operation, or something?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

yes. Anyone can be one, you don't even need a van! Our UK-Mail driver (another owner driver outfit) said they pay 50p per successful delivery. that's a lot of drops to cover a days wages plus fuel etc. :¬o

Pete@

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Amazon have just bought about 10% of the company so expect to see more of it.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

At least one of the deliverers around here seems to cram the parcels into a fairly small hatchback. Around Christmas they were running several days behind their targets. Tracking would show it was "with courier", though they did have the good grace to apologise when they finally made it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I knew someone who did that as a top up in the evening with his car.

He did have one good theory - do the run in the evening when everyone was actually in!

Reply to
Tim Watts

One of our suppliers uses them and we're regularly seeing deliveries being made and completed on Saturday same theory, everyone is at home first thing Saturday morning and like wise someone is going to be there in the evening. No failed deliveries and customer doesn't have to wait in all day..

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Now thats a very good idea as a lot of the population will be out in the day. In the last Hermes delivery we had we were given a delivery over a time span of Two weeks!. As it happened he turned up on the first day but he said like this a lot of people didn't know when he was coming and he didn't have that many successful deliveries in a week!...

Reply to
tony sayer

We've had deliveries from Amazon vendors on a Sunday.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Also I suspect that lots of the couriers parcels are to businesses, most of whom will only be open during normal business hours. So they would have to have double runs.

but as online shopping continues to grow I guess we will see services that suit domestic customers continue to develop.

Reply to
chris French

I still think there's an opening for Amazon (for example) to team up with Sainsburys/Tescos/Waitrose (!) and combine online grocery deliveries (because people are always in for those) with delivery of your Amazon order.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I had a Sunday delivery from Amazon, in their own white van, a couple of weeks ago. No extra charge either.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

We've got an Amazon locker in our local Co-op so that amounts to almost the same thing, assuming the parcel isn't too large anyway.

Reply to
matthelliwell

Well, if you are going to shop there *anyway*.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

They do the co-op in mile end road has some storage lockers with digitsal codes not to sure how it works though.

Reply to
whisky-dave

it's good way of getting you in their shop too, a bit like buying stamps in the post office who'll try to sell you stuff while you're there.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It is, of course, much easier to see house names or numbers in daylight..

Reply to
charles