OT Renting a car?

The fob is an RF device. No fob, no start. Not like anyone can just hop in and push the start button.

My cr will also open the trunk for me if the car is locked. Just stand behind it with arms full and it opens when it detects the fob. Very handy at times. \

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

RFID fobs are common - and commonly left in the car in locked garages. Absentmindedly leaving the fob in the car and not holding the dtart button for 10 seconds to shut it down lets it run untill the tank is smpty. Auto start-stop less of a problem as it shuts down when you walk away.

Reply to
clare

it IS a key, but not a KEY. It is required to open or start the car, but is not physically used or "actively deployed"

Reply to
clare

There is a bug in the Cadillac software on ~2011 models that does not antomatically turn off all the stuff when you walk away with the fob. We never did figure out exactly what the failing sequence was but it happened to my father in law a lot. He took it back to the dealer a dozen times for a "dead battery" problem and even after I figured out what was happening, there was no joy. They replaced the ECU and some other parts but I still think it is software. One day he was here, I put his fob in the refrigerator and went out and started his car after charging the battery. The battery had died here. I noticed right away AC blower was running on low and the dash was lit up. I think it has to do with the software feature that allows the radio and windows to be active until you open the drivers door after you turn the car off but once you finally get things turned off with the fob present, it works normally until you get back into the failure loop. With the fob not present, the accessory circuit and starting circuit stays on no matter what you do. He did have a habit of sitting in the car for a while screwing with the radio/DIC after he turned the engine off. About the time I was zeroing in on duplicating the problem, he traded it.

Reply to
gfretwell

So the fuel is still cooling the pump until it has no more fuel. I stand by my statements.

Reply to
Tekkie?

eXCEPT ON THOSE WHERE THE PUMP IS NOT ONLY COOLED BY FUEL RUNNING THROUGH IT, BUT BY THE PUMP BEING FULLY SUBMERGED.

Reply to
clare

+1 :) You win.. a... oh shit, the cookie monster ate the last one. Sorry.
Reply to
Diesel

Umm, no. The fuel isn't cooling the pump once it's no longer submerged in it. Further, the fuel pump motor itself isn't getting much (it's negligible) cooling assistance as it pumps the fuel through, either.

In fact, the less fuel you have in the tank, the hotter it is inside the tank; which doesn't help your pump in the least little bit.

The pump is being cooled by your fuel WHILE IT'S SUBMERGED in your fuel. Once you reach a certain point, the pump MOTOR ITSELF is no longer submerged. You seem to think the pump itself is literally resting on the bottom of the tank, but, it's not. The pickup unit is the closest to the bottom of the tank, but it's not actually resting on the bottom of the tank, either. Thanks to modern pressurization of the fuel system it's able to get nearly every last drop without you having to do the wiggle jiggle as you begin to run out of gas.

Aside from doing long term damage to the sealed electrical motor which is providing the fuel your engine needs, the pickup unit also begins to collect trash and tries to pump that to your engine, as well. Along the way, it can clog the pump assembly, your fuel lines, your injectors, too. It's really not a very nice way to treat your ride.

Fortunately, enough people do treat their rides like shit so that a comfortable living can be made for others who do know WTF they're doing repairing your stuff.

Reply to
Diesel