OT Renting a car?

Wow, the ugly American abroad....sheesh, talk about living the stereotype.

Reply to
Idlehands

You guys take everything so seriously! That was an example of American Jingoism.

Maybe it wasn't funny but you certainly should know it wasn't serious.

Reply to
Micky

I've acquired an older automatic transmission import (1992) that doesn't roll back on hills. Infact, you better make sure you have your foot on the brakes if you put it in drive or reverse. It happily pulls/backs up for you without you having to touch the peddle. It also has independent fuel injection with direct ignition. And, it's from 1992! Heh. It's a 4cylinder to boot. Not only does it drive like a gokart on rails, it will absolutely frakking move if you step into it. Another version of it has turbo. I'm not sure how much more responsive that one is compared to this one. And, it has killer gas mileage as long as you're not heavy on the pedal.

Reply to
Diesel

Froze up? :)

Reply to
Diesel

My 89 B2600I Mazda (a real Mazda, not ford with Mazda decals) had a switch on the odometer too. As soon as you rolled 200,000 on it, it turned the service engine soon light on. Cycling start so many times (I forgot the amount) turned the light back off.

Reply to
Diesel

Certainly know? Are you kidding me? With the recent crap you've posted how can anyone tell when you are being serious anymore?

Remember when you asked if tumbling clothes in a dryer for 2 hours was rougher on them than hanging them on a line? Was that a serious question?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not relevant to me. I don't park iln Neutral unless I make a mistake, like I have 2 or 3 times with this car. I park in Park.

Reply to
Micky

Let's review what you said earlier:

"What crap. I take very good care of the car, probably better than you treat rentals."

2 or 3 mistakes in the short time you've had this car. It sounds more like *luck* than caring that you haven't let this vehicle roll into a damaging situation yet.

If you really cared, you'd pay attention to what gear it is in before you g et out - every time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does the key come out of the ignition when it is parked while in neutral gear ? < and no hand brake engaged > I thought the key would be part of the safety interlock .. ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yup. For real bad memories, laying under a Great Dane trailer with my 5 lb single jack beating on the drums until the brakes released. Then there was the time I dragged a trailer with frozen brakes for a few miles. Rough on the tires even with snow covered and icy pavement. I used to put pennies on the trailer tires to make sure they were going around but I was in a hurry to get out of town before they shut the interstate down again. Milwaukee to Portland OR and shit all the way.

Reply to
rbowman

Coming from you nobody can ever be certain of ANYTHING.

Reply to
clare

Except when you don't. You need "belt and suspenders" to avoid being "em Bare Assed" Always a good idea to use the parking brake on a grade regardless.

Reply to
clare

I'm betting on Akvavit. It's a bit stronger than his normal American brew????

Reply to
clare

If you pull hard enough you can get the key out in any position - - -

- Then he has something else to ask silly questions about.

Reply to
clare

Baloney. People, including you, do most of what they do by habit. I've been parking in Park since my second or third car. (The first one or two didbn't have Park), almost 50 years. If you still check whether you're really in Park every time you park, you have OCD.

Reply to
Micky

Yes and Yes. Probably what enables me to make this mistake. I'm not used to that.

Reply to
Micky

I don't know, but it might be because this car, instead of a straight line from one gear to the next, like every other car I ever had, has a zig-zag path. To the right and up for reverse, farther to the right and up some more, then to the left for park.

Downshifting requires to the right for 3rd aand to the right and back for 2nd.

Having to put one's foot on the brake to get into reverse would also make it harder to rock the car out of snow or mud. One coudl learn to include the brake but I dont' think he could ever do it as quickly, which matters a lot then.

Reply to
Micky

Oh, Micky, Micky, Micky...

It's *you* that we're talking about, not me or anyone else.

It's *you* that specifically stated that you have forgotten to put this veh icle in Park 2 or 3 times in the short time that you have been driving it. That is sure proof that you have not gotten into the "habit" of operating it correctly. You, y ourself, have even stated that you aren't really sure why.

Therefore, *you* need to check that it is in Park every time you want to ex it the vehicle. It has nothing to do with OCD. It has everything to do with the fa ct that you have been operating it incorrectly and until such time that it either becom es "habit" or you return the vehicle, it would behoove you to check that it is in Park ev ery time.

Some people call it "thinking about what you are doing". Try it and see how it works for you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

After 50 years of practice you've left a vehicle in neutral and walked away in the last couple of weeks. You really need to talk to your physician.

Reply to
rbowman

I have not seen an automatic since the 60s that would let you get the key out without it being in park. It originally started with the anti-theft steering wheel locks (key on the steering column)

Reply to
gfretwell