OT Renting a car?

Really? Never saw that on any of my cars, first one being a '53 Mercury.

Multiply by .62 to get miles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

With new car, synthetic oil, retired and driving less, I quit changing my own oil. Had to take my 1 yr. old car in for first oil change last month. All the lights had come on, oil, tires, whatever. When I went to leave, one light came on and I went back in to get a guy to shut it off. Think he had to walk counter clockwise around the car reciting the Hail Mary in French while pushing the open door on the key 10 times. Seriously it must have taken him 5 minutes.

Reply to
Frank

As does virtually every automatic transmission sold in North America since at leat the late eighties. (mabee not into reverse, on some - but definitely into Park - and out of park too.

You are SUPPOSED to use the parking brake, and also put it in park before shutting it off.

Reply to
clare

Try this, go to google.com, enter the search term:

40km in miles

works for just about any conversion you can think of.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yes, the new Ranger will be a bit bigger - basically the size the F150 started out as or just a bit smaller - like a Canyon. I lucked into my Ranger 5 years ago. Looked like it just left the showroom floor with 307000Km on it. Paid $1500 for it including cap and bed-liner with a bad clutch release cyl. I replaced the whole clutch. It needed a windsheild - got an OEM one installed for under $300.

Still has original rear brakes and headlight bulbs,(along with virtually everything else except front brakes and U-Joints.)

see it at:

clare

Parking in Neutral ALWAYS calls for it - - - -

Reply to
clare

You ask Mikey WHY??? After the questions he's been asking this last week??? Must be something in the Danish water - mabee Akvavit?

Reply to
clare

The Hakapelitta tires even have numbers on them that tell how many mm of tread are left!

Reply to
clare

Actually on a 53 Merc it was there.

Mikey is very well read, it appears - - -

Reply to
clare

Way back in the seventies Toyota had a switch in the Odometer that tripped turning on the "service engine soon" light. It was a SPDT switch, and there was another one on the side of the steering column above the brake pedal that you had to flip to shut it off. If you flipped it 100 miles before the required oil change, it came on in 100 miles - -. That only lasted a few years before they deleted it, thankfully.

Reply to
clare

Most of the time... I tend not to use the parking brake in the winter. Bad memories.

Reply to
rbowman

Really. If you don't believe Micky (not that anyone would blame you) ask this guy:

I remember it well.

The scary part of his post was: "Only km, whatever that is."

He needed someone to tell him that you can convert km to miles. Holy crap!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm guessing it'll take you a lifetime.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or after driving in rain when the temperature dropped at night. BTDT

My Genesis has a feature called "Auto Hold". when you stop, the brakes will stay so you can take your foot off the brake pedal. When you put it in Park, it electronically sets the parking brake.

The Auto Hold feature is really nice in traffic. Comes off very smooth when you press the gas pedal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's getting to the point that NOTHING surprises me with him any more

- - -

Reply to
clare

I had a 86 Subaru with a Hill Holder Clutch. On a incline of at least (I forget how many) degrees, you would depress the brake and the clutch. You could then release the brake and it would stay on until the clutch was high enough to engage the tranny and begin to move the car forward. No more rolling backward or stalling and a lot less wear on the clutch.

If I recall correctly, they did with a ball inside the master cylinder that would roll backward and seal something. I forget what made it release once the vehicle had started moving, since you were often still on a hill.

I recently saw a commercial where some new vehicle had that feature. I'm sure it's computer controlled now, not mechanical like back in the 80's.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It does seem to be getting worse. Maybe we are witnessing a downward spiral.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Studebaker had it about 1950. My son had it on his Subaru. Nice feature.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are numerous ways to design hill-holders. The simplest ( in operation) would be a sprague that is engaged by the brake, locking the transmission against reverse rotation EXCEPT when the shifter is in reverse.

The old Soob used a cable and bellcrank setup that actually physically locked the brake pedal down when the clutch was depressed.

Reply to
clare

The Stude system was part of the overdrive if I remember correctly. I was right - just looked up the picture in my 1939 Motors Manual (Twelfth Edition) Doesn't have any operation description butshows an "inclinrd surface stationary stud". "ring weight" and "pawl" along with a "notched ring" fritted on the "splined sleave" on the sun gear of the overdrive - these parts do not exist on ODs without the hill holder. On an incline the "stationary stud" slides back, allowing the pawl to drop into the notched ring. It doesn't show the reverse lockout but from what I remember reverse shifted the notched wheel off the sungear spline but I can't swear to that.

Reply to
clare