OT. Omicron??

The head honcho at Pfizer claims we might need a 4th shot because of the Omicron version of Covid. I haven't seen any reports of any deaths or serious illness because of it. So, why the vaccines? Old people, or those with existing health issues?

Dean Hoffman

Are you having trouble understanding what the word "might" means?

Reply to
Dan Espen

gfretwell

Its a work in progress. The virus changes, the vaccine has to. Just like the flu shot every year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In this case it means "plan on it".

Reply to
gfretwell

They just discovered it. The experts are also waiting to see if there are reports of deaths or serious illness. Why new vaccines? Because it has a lot of genetic changes.

Reply to
Davej

Why the vaccines? Do you think Pfizer is giving out the vaccine out of the goodness of their heart? There is money to be made. It's okay though, the shots are free.

Reply to
rbowman

There's good money to be made in those yearly flu shots that might be

50% effective in good years. Of course the effectiveness is calculated by completely disinterested parties.
Reply to
rbowman

I wrote when this vaccine was still coming down the pipe this was not going to be a one and done thing. A company does not build this infrastructure for one shot. I predicted a yearly ritual but it is starting to look more like every

6-9 months.
Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote

We'll see. Its also possible that they are 3 jab vaccines like some are and there it wont need one every year like flu does given that the boosters aren't because the virus has mutated, they are due to declining immunity and that may not happen after the booster.

Reply to
John Brown

I got my flu shot yesterday. For the minor inconvenience of getting the shot, I'll take 50-50 odds.

Also got my COVID booster. Much less reaction than the first two; I think my immune system is getting the hang of this.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I'm sure if you look at the dollars invested versus the return already, Pfizer has made a fantastic return that any drug company would be very satisfied with. As far as infrastructure, this isn't the Manhattan project.

Reply to
trader_4

Many years ago there was a big shortage of flu vaccine in the US with maybe one producer. It was not a problem in Europe. The difference was due to law suits in the US where maybe one in a million had a problem and sued. Suits were not allowed in Europe since they were warned that there was a one in a million chance of a problem.

Drug companies are out to make money and do help us but they need to make money to do so.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The good news is that while two doses of existing Pfizer apparently does not offer good protection against omicron, the existing booster dose should be highly effective.

Reply to
trader_4

Billions? Oh, I forgot, the billions are only the advertising budget.

Then there are the billions needed to satisfy lawsuits over drugs that wouldn't have been brought to market except for the regulatory capture of the FDA and other agencies supposedly watching the henhouse.

My wife is diabetic. I can't remember what insulin cost in the '70s because it wasn't much of an expense. That's not the case now. How about the EpiPen scandal? 20 cents worth of epinephrine in a $500 gadget.

Reply to
rbowman

You are always going to have price gougers and best to have competition to keep prices down.

I was surprised to see the biggest cost of drugs is now in advertisement. It used to be in R&D and getting FDA approval but under the restraint of patents running out and drug becoming generic they have to increase market and make as much profit as they can before it becomes generic.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I have always been against taking any kind of prescription drug that is advertised. If it was a car or food item anyone with the money can just walk up and buy it that would be different. To get a drug in the US you have to go to a doctor and have him to ok it. If it was a good drug I would think the doctor would know about it, especially the special drugs that the specilists usually give.

Then there is the 'snake oil' types being advertised. The memory or ones that make you feel 20 years younger that come and go every few years that anyone can buy.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I am obverse to advertising, that is, I figure the more they have to advertise means that there is more in it for them than me. That goes for the now over deluge of ads for medicare advantage.

I do not confuse the real drugs with the snake oils. It is surprising all the false advertising they get away with.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Had my Pneumonia and Shingles shots recently too. Can't get my booster for another 6 weeks.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I don't know a lot about it but I understand the kind of insulin they had in the 70s is still cheap but they have the new and improved insulin that they gouge people on.

Reply to
gfretwell