OT correlation?

OT Discussion on the radio about how to store gun so your kid doesn't take it to school and kill people.

I wonder if anyone has correlated those who leave their gun where their kid can find it with those who won't get vaccinated. !! I have my prediction. Good topic for someone who needs to write a thesis for a university degree.

Also, why do they praise so highly storing the ammunition away from the gun? If a child can find one, he can eventually find the other.

Reply to
micky

One of the feel good ideas. Just like spending a lot to put extra strong deadbolts and stuff on the doors but the house is full of windows, and not the Microsoft ones either.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My guess they parallel closely.

Adds 30 to 60 seconds to the time the kid is armed.

Many people keep a gun in the nightstand for protection. Should be locked in the morning, of course. In the recent case, they went shooting as a family so perhaps dad trusted the kid. Why not? He is a teenager and would never do anything dumb.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My initial motivation here was a 7 year old and her friends, mostly the friends but I had my guns locked up in the 60s when I lived in an apartment too, mostly so they wouldn't wander off. Even if you don't have kids, locking up your guns is still a good idea since they are #1 on the burglar hit list. You need a truck to carry a $1000 TV but a $1000 gun might fit in your pocket. It is easier to sell too. They are not just locked up. You need to look pretty hard to figure out where that is. When you are moving walls around, you can make 6-8" disappear pretty easy.

For MM. No I didn't actually "move" a wall, I tore down some and built others in another place. He can be slow on the uptake.

Reply to
gfretwell

When i lived in a small ranch type house I had the guns locked up in just one of the gun cabinets with a glass door. Just enough to keep the kids out of them. When we would go out of town for a night or more for vacation I would take them up to the attic that had pull down stairs and hide them under some blankets and other junk. As I bought afew more guns over the years I decided to get a safe to help deter them walking off.

When I sold the cabinet to some stranger I gave him the sad story that I got rid of the guns as I quit hunting.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

New computer. I did the last time and plan to again, but first I have to install a lot of other software.

Reply to
micky

When I was little, we had a cabinet and two drawers built into the upstairs hall. Came with the house. When we went away, my mother took out the drawers and I would climb in where one went and put the jewelry. No one was going to look behind that drawer. By the time I was 9, I was almost too big to get out again, but we moved the next year anyhow.

So he wouldn't know you still had guns at home? And tell someone who mighbt break in to take them?

Reply to
micky

Mine were all lost in a tragic boat accident ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Most likely somebody's kid.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, it makes up a good story any way to maybe make him think there are no guns in the house.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The microsoft ones, even with Virus and back-door issues are infinitely more secure - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nothing dumber than his criminal Dad anyway - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A 150 MPH impact rated window is pretty secure. By the time someone beat their way through one of them with a hatchet, I would have one of my guns unlocked and a 125 pound Labrador would be going nuts. OTOH most of the computer break ins come through a Microsoft window.

Reply to
gfretwell