OT. California Truck Pollution Rules

California will want truckers just passing through to meet California emission rules. The rule will apply to vehicles seven tons and up.

Dean Hoffman

Your package has been delivered. It is in the pickup locker at the border.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This will really help getting containers out of Long Beach won't it?

Reply to
gfretwell

Considering the statewide rules take effect in 2024, it will have no affect on the current issues in Long Beach. FWIW, Long Beach and Oakland have had similar rules in place for a few years.

As usual, you made a knee-jerk response to an article you didn't bother to read.

Back in 2009, Oakland instituted clean air standards for trucking to the port:

Scott Lurndal

Having rules in California that do not apply in the other 49 states and the two contiguous NAFTA countries is not going to speed up trade no matter when it is enacted.

Reply to
gfretwell

I imagine some of the big carriers may comply, but owner/operators, not so much. The independents can find many good runs in the other 47 contiguous states.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Clean trucks haul from the ports to freight terminals where the transcontinental boys pick it up and deliver it. The transcontinental guys don't want to be wasting time hanging around the ports - the "port haulers" get to go home to their own beds every night and the long haulers get to put on miles.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

What about all the produce,seafood, wine,going out? What about all the products going in like groceries, meats,cars, and many loads of other goods?

What do you do if you are a supplier to a California company and ship from Kansas? Can you be sure to get a CA certified truck?

How about those trucks from Mexico?

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) staff at the Otay Mesa commercial crossing reported processing approximately 2,500 trucks per day during peak season, which runs from October through December.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was referring to the original regulation where the PORTS required only clean trucks. Back in 2009. Trucks running out of Cali need to meet Cali requirements. MOST of the Mexitrtucks are "turnarounds - dropping loaded trucks from Mex, returning with empties or loads to Mex from Cali. My brother used to drop a lot of trailers headed for Mex at the border and pick up loads from Mex - some taking the trailer and some "trans-loading" - at a tranfer terminal

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Once that stuff is brought in it will be dispersed around the country. Initially is has to be a shit-show getting only certified trucks running in the state. The store in Nebraska that ordered a truckload of sombreros does not care bout CA regulations.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Would they be making the transfer at the Flying J Truck Stop in Ehrenberg Arizona? This is a state wide rule. That will be a pretty long day. It is over 200 miles away after he spends all day clearing the port.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am wondering how long it will be before the Chinese build a port in Mexico and import into the US with the added help of NAFTA. If they cut a 4 lane from Yuma to Ensenada they could cut California out of the loop. NAFTA 2.0 still lets Mexican trucks travel to a commercial zone and drive back without regulation. They just need to register the truck with DOT (no inspection).

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Would you know if the Mexican truckers succeeded in their attempt to get that, umm, let's call it an "exclusion zone" (I'm sure there's a specific term but I don't recall it) extended to Kansas? I remember the whole deal where they wanted to run those trucks to the large (and, the local real estate folk hoped, soon to be much larger...) transjipment areas near Kansas City up I-35...

thanks

Reply to
danny burstein

The CFR I read looks like they can make a direct trip from Mexico to a "Commercial Zone" and haul a load back from there to Mexico as long as they don't pick up or drop off anything in between.

Reply to
gfretwell

Obviously not the case; c.f. automotive polution standards.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Does California enforce their pollution standards on out of state cars passing through?

Reply to
gfretwell