OT NSA-proof search engine takes on Google

...May. 22, 2014 - 5:35 - DuckDuckGo's Gabriel Weinberg on creating a search engine that doesn't track users

I tried it and like it just for the cleanliest. Now my default search engine. YMMV

Reply to
Oren

Maybe they will add searching Usenet. Google managed to screw up it's Usenet search.

If they manage to do it correctly they might start eating some of Google's lunch.

Reply to
JuanMotime

this is also a good one

i have both as my start pages Don't be fooled by the "powered by google" Read further to understand what they do

Reply to
ChairMan

I've been using startpage for a couple of years now , but just tried out ddg recently . One difference I see with ddg is that they suggest search strings for you to refine your search . Some might not like that , some may .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've used DuckDuckGo for awhile, too. Google abuse just keeps getting worse. I dropped them for most searches when they started tracking clicks via corrupt links. If you look at the returned links you'll see that they now use Google as a proxy, so that Google can track everything you click, even if you have script disabled:

It sends you to Google, which then serves you the page you asked for. There's no way to even know whether Google is giving you an unadulterated page. They could even be adding tracking bugs to pages.

I still use them occasionally, though. For most searches any search engine works, but for the really tough ones Google seems to be more accurate most of the time. When I do use them I generally copy the link and then clean it up before proceeding.

Reply to
Mayayana

It sure doesn't get the most relevant hits yet.

Try "Taste of Cincinnati"

Reply to
JuanMotime

Start Page has three adds at the top and three at the bottom. Pain in the ass. The Duck only has one at the top. I actually find the Amazon search helpful

Reply to
Todd

Love the Duck.

Reply to
Todd

Maybe you should wear a little tinfoil hat while you surf too?

Reply to
Paranoid Nutcake

| > I tried it and like it just for the cleanliest. Now my default search | > engine. YMMV | >

| Maybe you should wear a little tinfoil hat while you surf too? |

That's an odd thing to say. Do you *like* being spied on? Do you think people are nuts who don't want to be spied on? If so, why? Or do you work for Google?

Reply to
Mayayana

Why would the NSA spy on me? I'm of no interest to them.

Most people who think they are being spied on by the NSA ***are*** nuts.

No, I'm not employed by Google or the NSA.

And if the government does decide to interrogate me, I hope they send Annie Walker.

Paranoid Nutcake

that site was likely putup by the NSA in the hopes it attracts the kinda people who are of interest, like wanabee terrorists..........

Reply to
bob haller

| > | Maybe you should wear a little tinfoil hat while you surf too? | > | | > | > That's an odd thing to say. Do you *like* being | > spied on? | | Why would the NSA spy on me? I'm of no interest to them. |

Haven't you heard? They slurp everything. And as I understand it the Obama people have claimed they have a legal right to do that. Personally I'd rather not support the development of an Orwellian surveillance society.

But... the OP wasn't even talking about the NSA. Google spies on people using their search engine. If you join Google they likely track everything you do. If you don't join they can still track most of your online activity via the ubiquitous ad company, Doubleclick, which has ads on most commercial sites. Google reads the email of gmail users and was caught recording anything they could get off of home wireless connections that weren't locked down, while they rode around in their Google mapping vans. Then they lied about it. In short, they're a sleazeball operation. A bunch of unsocialized geeks who think they have a right to invade the privacy of others, so long as they're only doing it to make money!

I can't fathom why you would think anyone is nuts simply because they don't want Google spying on them.

Reply to
Mayayana

Fooled me too. Did you read the Subject of this thread?

Reply to
Frederik Fernsworth

| > But... the OP wasn't even talking about the NSA. | | Fooled me too. Did you read the Subject of this thread?

Good point. I think of the NSA as secondary. They can ride along with corporate tracking, but the corporate tracking is the primary spying in this case.

I was sitting at a table last week with 3 young people, talking about the Frontline series on privacy and spying. They kept talking about the NSA, too. I kept trying to say, "Yes, the NSA is creepy. But what about Google and Facebook spying? How do you feel about those?" They didn't seem to be able to understand. They fear an Orwellian federal gov't, but seem oblivious that their whole social and business life is hosted by advertising companies who claim co-ownership of their digital data. GMail and Facebook are so central to their lives that they're almost incapable of thinking about them as corporations.

Reply to
Mayayana

Leo LePort made the point last week that the two are different. Google can't kick your door down and arrest you.

Reply to
Todd

| Leo LePort made the point last week that the | two are different. Google can't kick your door | down and arrest you. |

No, but Google is providing the data in some cases and setting the precedent. People allow Google to essentially wiretap their email, which sets a precedent that can be applied in court. And actually I really don't see why one should make such a comparison at all. They're both a big problem. I wouldn't find it comforting to know that the person who just stole my wallet at least doesn't steal cars. I'm guessing that Leo LaPorte has a gmail account that he'd rather not give up. :)

Google is being sued currently in a class action lawsuit by people who communicate with gmail users but who have not agreed to Google's terms. Google first tried to have the case thrown out, claiming that no one has a right to expect privacy. Fortunately, the judge didn't go for that. But they might still win. It's amazing to think that in a few short years we've reached a point where we're no sure whether for-profit corporations have a right to wiretap in order to make money.

With Google setting the tone, the NSA is now taking pretty much the same view.

There's an interesting, related law article here:

Mayayana

The Google user agreement clearly spells it all out in their Terms of Service.

If people don't like the TOS, they can always *buy* email service from an ISP or web host.

Reply to
Googlehead

Hi Mayayana,

Don't mistake me. I 100% support your viewpoint. I despise being spied on, even by marketers.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Check out mail.zoho.com. You get five free (may be

10 by now).
Reply to
Todd