OT NSA-proof search engine takes on Google

Try to follow the talk. Google reads the mail that passes through their servers. Opening an account with a third party will not alter that. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

| Check out mail.zoho.com. You get five free (may be | 10 by now). |

Do they seem respectable? I was checking free email recently for a brother who's giving up his ISP and zoho was one that I came across, but I didn't know what to think of it. It's hard to see any free service really being a good idea. It starts out with both sides unwilling to be honest about what they're actually doing.

Unfortunately, my brother is one of the large majority who's simply too lazy to deal with it. He doesn't want to pay $2/month for a legitimate service. He doesn't want to pay a bit more for his own domain. He doesn't even want to be bothered researching free options. In the end he went with gmail because his ISP was actually using gmail, so there was no need to change the OE account settings. :)

I think most people are like that. It's a case of "You can lead a horse to water, but if the horse expects to be spoonfed then you just have to let him thirst."

Reply to
Mayayana

The feds want to have a database with a lot more financial information according to this from the Washington Examiner:

The NSA is into picture collecting according to this from the New York Times:

Dean Hoffman

And they do. It's called the Patriot Act. Revoke that and problem solved, assuming you never vote for anyone capable of passing a similar "Treason Act". []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Hi Mayayana,

I was recommend it by guys on the Scientific Linux mailing list several years ago. I have been using them since.

I do believe the free account(s) is for advertising their pay services. They also do the payed domain accounts to. I have put customer on them when the free eMail that comes with their web host can't keep up. (Those free eMail services when you buy web hosting really stink, and are usually farmed out to the lowest bidder. Go Daddy does their own eMail as far as I can tell, but it gets overloaded all the time. And of course, they know nothing about it.)

Technically, zoho has been rock solid so far. With the free accounts, you can email support. If you pay for it, you can talk to them. Though you do have to push past them trying to find fault with your stuff, instead of theirs.

I have never been able to find how to get gMail support, other than "Just Googling" it. (The new, more polite, RTFM.)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Per Todd:

Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't even *think* of doing my banking online.

I don't even like the idea that institutions like the mutual fund where I keep my retirement account make it unconditionally available because it would seem to place the burden on me to prove that I was not behind some prankster's trading activity.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I don't do it. I don't recommend it. No one listens to me.

Reply to
Todd

Thanks for your thoughts. Zoho sounds promising. I suppose, now that I think of it, that the freebie-as-marketing is actually a fairly workable business model -- as opposed to freebie-as-business- model, which doesn't allow for integrity.

Reply to
Mayayana

Per Todd:

Same here, but we've exercised our due diligence....-)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)