OT: Feeling cold

Serious question (those of you who know me will think I'm nuts) - why do people not like being cold? Describe what's so bad about it. It's not painful like stubbing your toe. I can understand disliking heat, your muscles are less energetic if you're trying to work hard or exercise. But there is nothing painful about the cold. People seem not to mind sweating, but shivering is somehow a bad thing? It's just the same at the other end of the scale.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

just the same at the other end of the scale.

YOur body works harder to bring up the heat. Your muscles 'shake' to generate heat. The blood supply to the body gets cut off to conserve heat.

When hot the muscles don't have to work as hard to maintain the normal body heat.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I only recall once getting REALLY cold.

In the army we were stationed out in the desert and whenever we went out on maneuvers part of our field gear was a rain poncho.

One day I figured that was absurd to bring it so of course got caught for many hours in the rain. It was so cold it actually did hurt.

Lesson learned.

Reply to
philo

But shivering is nowhere near as much effort as say walking or running or lifting something heavy, so what's the big deal about your muscles being used? You don't even have to do it yourself, it's automatic!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How cold were you (how much shivering/numb fingers etc)?

What hurt? I don't understand how cold can be painful, it's a different feeling altogether.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How cold is cold? I don't think a chill is a big deal but long term cold will have you feeling pretty bad and eventually it can kill you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm talking about shivering hard with several muscles at once, eg legs, buttocks, chest, arms. And how does this "feel bad"? It's just your muscles moving.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And when the muscles stop moving you are tired, feel drained. Results would depend on severity and length of time involved.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, because shivering isn't much effort compared with rigorous activities like running etc. You actually feel energised when you warm back up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Come to Canada, you can camp out in my backyard, without a good winter coat and pair of boots, get back to us after a week. I'll put 911 on speed dial.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

You surprise me, Canadians tend to me more hardy than Yankee wimps.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Per James Wilkinson Sword:

There is nothing to understand - you just have to go there and do it.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I love getting cold and have done so on many occasions.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Per James Wilkinson Sword:

Then you need to get colder.

Try cross-country skiing at 25F into a headwind with nothing to keep your crotch warm.... and you'll discover "Frozen Balls"... (don't ask...)

Or go windsurfing in 20-25 mph winds, 55-60F air and wait until your hands freeze to the point where the fingers don't work anymore.... That's not the part that hurts all that much... but then let them warm up....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

25F isn't cold, it's only 7F below freezing. I've gone running in the mountains in just shorts with that and a very strong wind and a snow blizzard. It feels nice.
55-60F?! That's almost room temperature! What' the f*ck is wrong with you, you pathetic girl!
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Have you ever been so cold your hands don't want to work and you want to scream when they warm up and feeling returns? When your ears turn white and the snot freezes in your nose when you breathe? When you can't feel your feet anymore?

Reply to
rbowman

I was going to make a similar offer. He can shovel the paths and driveway while he's at it.

Reply to
rbowman

Your coldest temperatures in the last 50 years is a couple of mild weeks in January around here.

Reply to
rbowman

Per James Wilkinson Sword:

Did you see "The Girl Who Played with Fire" ? (one of the sequels to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo")?

Ronald Niedermann's character had some sort of neurological issue that made him unable to feel pain...... -)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I've had my fingers unable to operate the key to unlock my car (after swimming in ice water for a couple of hours and running around the mountains naked in a blizzard). But it's not uncomfortable. Numb isn't sore, numb is a lack of feeling.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword