OT: DST Ends Sunday

Rather a biased post, Not you.

Not a single plus for current switchover, even though there are several. These days I have an appointment 3 days a week at 8:20. When I woke up last week it was dark out, and soon would be dark when I left the house, but becuase we switched to standard time, I was not dark.

School children waiting for the school bus in the dark and being picked off like bowling pins by drivers.

So how many people have a risk of heart stress and how many actually have heart stress in the spring, and what are the practical consequences of heart stress in the spring and for how many people? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I hear.

Reply to
micky

How do you feel about DST?

Is there some useful use for it?

Andy

Reply to
AK

21 December here is

Sunrise: 8:18am Sunset: 4:49pm

so you're not going to win one way or the other. 21 June is

Sunrise: 5:41am Sunset: 9:34pm

That's why I'm skeptical of the circadian rhythm argument. In the summer the goddamn magpies get up at 5AM which affects my rhythm more than anything the politicians can do.

Reply to
rbowman

I worked in Indiana for a couple of years. The eastern areas kept Ohio time, (EST/EDT) the western kept Chicago (CST/CDT) and the rest of the state was perpetually confused since the state itself didn't dp DST. If you asked someone what time it was they would say 'quarter of' and you could figure out the hour. The state went to DST in 2006 but I'm not sure that helped.

The welcome center on the interstate had a three page pamphlet to explain the mess.

Reply to
rbowman

I get up around 4 am no matter what the season. Sometimes I sleep in until 4:30, now that I'm retired.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Maybe it's like the mask mandates. Not actually effective, just about controlling the masses.

Reply to
Greta Thongturd

It's fine.

Sure. It gives more daylight hours in the summer time for people to use. An hour each day they would otherwise sleep away. Plus the things Scott says under "Pro-DST year-long " may be true or somewhat true.

My only problem is I have too many clocks. Car 1 kitchen 3 - stove, microwave, clock-radio Office 2 - one clock radio and the telephone, 2 computers that are self-adjusting Bathroom 1 - self-adjusting clock radio Bedroom 4 - two of which are self-adjusting Wrist watch 1

So that's 9 either I have to set or I have to remember that 1 or 2 are always on summer time. (and 5 that are self-adjusting. 14 altogether.) If there were appropriate federal legislation, it might limit the number of clocks I have.

Reply to
micky

Some people. I've always come home, gone in the house, made dinner, and spent the evening reading or something. None of that can be done without electric lights.

Some people get up early no matter the season.

That's your problem.

Can't you disable one or two of those? My microwave displays

--:-- all the time, since I don't want to bother setting it.

Dear God. Why so many clocks in the bedroom?

If you had appropriate self-discipline, it might limit the number of clocks you have.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I took just a day for most of my body to adapt to standard time, however, my stomach is wanting to eat breakfast on DST.

Reply to
Ed P

Midsummer in Michigan during daylight savings time, twilight ends at 23:27 in late june. The further north you go, the later the sun sets on the summer solstice. Far enough north, and it doesn't actually set.

Scott Lurndal

I get up around 4 AM too. Take a leak and go back to bed.

Reply to
rbowman

My most productive time is about 11pm to 3am, so I try to get to bed around 3am, which sometimes means 4-5-6am, and I'm up about 6 hours later. My wife is on a very different schedule, which is a bonus.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I don't have enough windows to manage without electric light.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That happens at 2 am.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I once had to do a couple of days work in western Michigan near the end of the eastern time zone and found it strange to see people going to work and school in the dark. Probably near the end of daylight saving time. It would be weird in a state with split zones, the eastern half going to work when it is light and the guy across the street in the west going to work in the dark.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yeah, then too. At least for most males plumbing problems are an end of life phenomenon instead of a lifelong pain the the, well, urethra.

Reply to
rbowman

Good for you. :-)

I am retired too.

Andy

Reply to
AK

You are definitely right.

I just said it was my only problem.

I can see the time on the microwave just by turning my head to the left, and it's LEDs To see the clockradio I have to turn to the right and bend my head down, and it's LCD's, harder to read.

The stove clock runs all the time.

One is on the DVDR, one is on the clock radio, one on the wifi-radio, and one on the clock radio that I acually use for an alarm. I like to lie in bed and see how long it takes after one clock changes until the next one does.

Plus I forgot the clock radio in the basement. I don't use that anymore and don't bother to set it.

Maybe Zen could teach me self-discipline. I'm afraid I won't have any money to leave my family if I keep buying clocks.

And what's worse is when there's a power failutre and I have to reset many of them. Only the microwave is simple The others all use different rules.

Reply to
micky

I'm afraid to ask where the bonus lies.

Reply to
micky

Don't be. :) It's not too nefarious. Her sleep schedule is 9 or 10pm to 5am, so I get a lot done while she's sleeping and she gets a lot done while I'm sleeping. Neither of us gets much done when we're both awake.

Reply to
Jim Joyce