shower stems are frozen

So I finished the toilet tank, the washers on one bathroom sink, the cutoff valve for another toilet, the stem for the hot water in the powder room, but I'm stuck on the washers for the shower.

The stems seem frozen in place. Tried PB Blaster and banged some on he metal parts afterwards, but it's only been 4 hours. I'm going to let it sit until tomorrow but I'm impatient so I'm asking for help now.

IS IT TRUE THAT THE VALVES HAVE TO BE PARTLY (HALF-WAY?) OPEN TO UNSCREW THE STEMS. One comment online said that, specifically about removing stems. I know that if the valve is too far "closed", that is, screwed into its housing, when you screw the stem hoousing in, the end of the stem can stop the stem housing from screwing in all the way, but I don't see how the converse would be a problem. ???? (In addition, opening the valve makes it stick out farther and makes it hard to put a cross-bar through the long faucet socket.)

Yes, I've tried tightening in order to loosen it.

I would think the most important thing now would be a very long cross bar, like 108 inches in both directions, so I can get torque but no force in other directions. I can't think of anything I have that woudl be that long and fit through the hole in the socket.

What about a hair dryer? Propane torch? Minipropane torch?

The house is 44 years old and since some of the framing was in the way of the socket, it's pretty clear the washers have never been changed, that and that I've been here for 40 and I know I never changed this shower's washers. In the last year or two it's gotten hard to turn off completely but it still doesn't drip!! (though a propane torch could change that.)

Reply to
micky

Be careful applying too much pressure on the stem. We had a stuck stem in the shower, and when we applied a pipe wrench on the "long socket", the housing of the stem broke away from the piping that connects to the spout & shower head. Was about 60 years old.

We had to replace the entire assembly, involving much cutting and soldering.

We probably did not wait long enough for PB Blaster to work.

Reply to
retired1

Are you sure it HAS washers?? The only faucets in my 48 year olf house that have washers are on the laundry tub

Alsoany faucet cartridges are LEFT HAND THREAD - (are there litle "notches" on the flats of the "nut"?)

Other than that, when something is "frozen" I generelly apply heat

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes, I'm sure. All the other faucets have washers.

It's not a cartridge.

A little afraid of setting the house on fire, but come to thihk of it, I bought a heat gun. If it hasnt' loosened by later today, I'll try that.

Reply to
micky

Some faucets have a reverse thread on the part that unscrews to get to the washer after you remove the cover. that keep you from unscrewing the faucet when you turn the water off firmly.

Reply to
Bob F