OT: DST Ends Sunday

Hi All,

Daylight Stupid Time ends Sunday, November 5, 2023, 2:00:00 am clocks are turned backward 1 hour

-T

The computers auto-update . I'll reset the rest before the wife gets up .

Reply to
Snag

Here we go again... At least the clock in this car is easier than the last one. I pulled the battery out of the V-Strom so I'll deal with that in the spring. The coffee maker, microwave, and VCR aren't mission critical.

Reply to
rbowman

I was quite pleased I was able to sleep until 3:30 this morning. I'd feared I'd be awake and alert at 2:00.

I don't care about the clocks; that's just a little busywork. Moving my sleep cycle around is difficult.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

We're stuck with DST until our technocrat overlords rule that it causes climate change.

Reply to
Ben Verified - ✅

It is a real PITA with all the devices today with clocks in them. The microwave oven and stove are prominent and I reset those but ignore coffee pot and fax machine. I figure the time shifts cause more loss of work time they were supposed to gain because of all the fuss of changing our clocks.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Until I was 10, there was a clock in the kitchen and another in my parents' bedroom.

Then we moved and the bank was giving away clock radios if you opened an account, plus I had to wake up for school. But even then the car clock had stopped ticking years earlier. (It worked on a spring but had been electrically wound every once in a while.)

Now there are clocks everywhere. Darn 555 timer, iirc. Some I leave in summertime all year round.

Reply to
micky

I can't remember not having a clock in my bedroom. The living room had one of those mid-Century Modern starburst clocks on the wall.

We didn't have a car after Mom lost her license due to being unable to pass the eye test. Her last car was a Corvair.

That would drive me crazy. It would drive my husband crazier.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I hope this doesn't make you feel bad, but my mother drove until she was about 83. She might have had a tiny acciddent 40 years earlier, not necessarily her fault.

It is a problem. I have to rememberr which clocks to ignore. Mostly it's the clock in the telephone which says when people left messages. I don't get that many messages and when they arrive is usually of no importance. Plus I don't remember how to set the time in the phone.

Speaking of the phone, I've had this Uniden base phone and 3 cordless extensions for about 15 years, and just this week I learned about one of its features. (I'm sure I read the whole owners manual but I can only absorb so much at one time.) When I'm in the room with the base phone and someone is leaving a message, I can hear it, but with the extensions, I had to wait until they hung up and play the message. Wednesday, I was looking at the phone and there was the wordd Screen. Yeah, I know it's got a screen. Then it dawned on me and I learned if I push the button next to Screen I can hear them leaving their message!!! Amazing. That it took me 15 years to learn this.

Reply to
micky

We had one of these on the dining room table. It was a drop leaf table and seldom used as a table except for holidays. Art Deco meets the jet age. Like a lot of '50s things it would set off a Geiger counter.

Reply to
rbowman

I carry my phone (which is a computer) around when setting the clocks that need it. There are some clocks which aren't set automatically, but are supposed to adjust for DST. You still need to check those.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The PITA can extend for a few days. My smart watch was off this am and I had to re-sync it to the smart phone. Had to reset old atomic watch and still screwing with another clock. Few years ago with a new car it must have taken me a half hour to reset the clock. Newer car is easier to reset with buttons under the clock.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes. One of my older ones set back a week or 2 ago, and i changed the the zone to correct it. This morning, I reversed that change.

Reply to
Bob F

Nice.

Ours was sort of like this:

Cindy Hamilton

There are 3 clocks in the house that don't auto-update : the stove , the wall clock and the bedroom alarm clock/radio . I will get to the cars when I get to them .

Reply to
Snag

Y'know, some things are better forgotten...

I don't remember my parents having one but my uncle had the black panther model. Those weird LED backlights just ain't the same.

Reply to
rbowman

I used the phone to change the clock in the car but the GPS came uop with the right time too.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, the last car had some cha-cha involving the odometer reset to get the clock digits flashing. This one has two separate buttons marked H and M. That's more my speed.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm proud of myself. I went for a hike today and didn't come stumbling out of the woods after dark. The only upside I can think of is I won't be driving home into the setting sun.

Reply to
rbowman

I very hardheartedly agree with you.

DST is a monumental waste of resources.

I will make a wild guess.

The government of the U.S. has control over that.

:-)

Reply to
AK