OT: DST Ends Sunday

Yup. And the congress voted 100% to repeal it, but the [expletive deleted] senate refused to take it up.

The clocks around my house stay on daylight saving time. My phone and computer have the regular time displayed so I can get to customer appointments on time.

I do not watch broadcast TV anymore. Streaming does not care when you watch it.

Those things are fabulous. Not, of course, that I'd want one. We collect this stuff:

the prices have gotten ridiculous. Most of ours was bought on e-bay.

We keep a light on in the kitchen that reflects just enough into the living room. Once in a great while, if some movie is strobing violently (for example, gunfire in a dark setting), I flip on the light next to my chair until it settles down.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I have a late 19th century New Haven drop octagon school clock, a swiss skeleton clock, a circa 1910 Hubert Herr cuckoo clock and a walnut Grandfather clock (my father made the case from a walnut tree in the yard) all in daily use. I have a kitchen clock (circa 1900) that I need to do a bit of repair work on.

All are 8-day movements (although the cuckoo clock needs to be mounted nine feet up to run for 8 days :-).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Of course GPS would. Time is really important to GPS.

BTW, Did you know that it's so critical that the clocks on the satellites have to be compensated for time dilation, or else navigation would be off (and keep getting worse)?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

We've completely embraced the 21st Century. All digital, and most of them contact the mothership to keep from drifting on their batteries. It's just timekeeping for us. Not beauty or amazing movement.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Mine are all digital except for the Timex Expedition. When the nurse asks me to draw a clock face and label it I can cheat.

Reply to
rbowman

*winner*
Reply to
danny burstein

No batteries needed. No resources consumed during usage. The clocks work perfectly fine, keep excellent time and conserve resources. How are they not superior to quartz battery clocks that last a decade or less before breaking; and you get a bit or exercise once a week winding them.

It's a shame that so much antique, high quality furniture, used kitchen goods (e.g. Revereware pans, etc), are bypassed in favor of knock-down ikea crapola and walmart imports.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have a clock I wind every Sunday morning for the past 40 years. Bedroom furniture is 57 years and I just made pasta in a 57 year old Farberware pot.

Sure, many things have been replaced, but still have a lot of perfectly good kitchen tools from when we married in 1966.

Reply to
Ed P

I never said they were not superior. I just can't be bothered. Back in the day, I had a wind-up wristwatch. I threw it over for a digital as soon as they were affordable.

Revereware is crap. Those thin copper bottoms are useless; hot spots everywhere. Put them on an electric coil and you can see the coil shap in the bubbles.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

They work just fine on gas.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal
[snip]

That's an advantage of a gas stove. The flame always fits the pot.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

... or this :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

With the stroke of a pen, Joetard killed a vital pipeline on his first day in office. Why is it so hard to kill a useless DST law?

Reply to
Greta Thongturd

You do have to wonder who profits by it. There are quite a few businesses arguing for permanent daylight saving, seemingly fewer arguments for permanent standard time, while most hate changing back and forth.

Reply to
rbowman

Money is a factor. Seems some of the medical people are for standard time is it is closer to the circadian rhythm of the human body. DST lets people do things later and spend money.

Reply to
Ed P

I'm pretty sure that the Canadian Provinces would change in a heart-beat - once the border states do .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

(originally posted in a different group, not by me):

Pro-DST year-long Economic. Excellent evidence of economic impact of additional evening daylight. Safety. Good evidence of fewer accidents due to additional evening daylight (over-riding the increase risk to school-children in the morning). Crime. Good evidence of lower crime rates due to additional evening daylight Energy. Evidence of a very mild effect (factor of 1.03 overall, a bit higher in higher latitudes.) Negligible.

Pro-ST year-long Health. Excellent evidence of an effect due to mismatch of circadian rhythms. Major study shows increased risk (small but definite) of certain cancers if you live on Eastern edge of time-zone compared to Western edge (Relative Risk ratio of 1.05)

Current switchover Health. Excellent evidence of increased risk at switchover times (risk of heart stress in spring, depression in fall)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In fall, winter, and spring, there's precious little evening daylight, even with DST, in these latitudes. If we were still on DST, sunset would be 6:21 pm today. It's moot; I haven't seen the sun in hours due to cloud cover.

People (and golf courses) in warm, southern areas would benefit. Screw 'em.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton