Cost of new roof and rebuklt gable ends

I hesitate to ask this slightly off-topic question, but I want to make an offer on a house for Monday and I need to estimate roughly the cost of some major reroofing work. It is in Cambridge.

The house is a typical Victorian terraced-style house but it is in fact a single detached one. It has an obvious problem: The two gable ends (from top floor ceiling level) are leaning over, both the same way (i.e. one leaning in in and one leaning out). I estimatre the maximum lean to be about 75mm. One end includes a chimney (leaning in). The roof trusses must be all leaning over inside there. The roof is also very uneven.

At a rough guess there is about 40 sq metre horizontal area under the roof. The gable ends are about 8 metres wide and 2 metres high and the chimney projects about 1.5 metres above the apex (it looks an unusually high chimery. The roof is slate. It was built in about

1900 I think.

You could erect scaffolding to gain access to the gables

Can anyone give me any kind of guess as to what it would cost to rebuild the gable ends and replace the roof timbers etc.

Thank you for your help folks. I need to put my offer in before 9 am Monday, so I don't have time to ask a builders.

Any thoughts or comments would also be welcome.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

I would say not more than ten grand..Phone Tanner and Hall. Get a quote

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on how much material can be re used or if all new bricks and slates have to be used. At a guess, New roof £3000, re build gables £2000, new timber roof structure £3000, scaffolding £700, wastes skips £600. Total £9000 to £10,000

Reply to
keith_765

At a guess about £9000. New roof £3000, new gables £2000, new roof timbers £3000 scaffolding £700 and skips £600. You might get away with using the original slates and bricks, but if the roof is uneven then its new roof timbers and maybe new ceilings.

Reply to
keith_765

In article , keith_765 writes

£10 Grand...

Thats about how much the average Cambridge house appreciates over a few months.

No brainier really!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Thank you everyone for those very helpful replies. Yes, houses in Cambridge are zooming up in oprice at the moment, though they may well come down again with a bump. 1/3 of purchases are apparently by people from London. We find that small Victorian terraced houses in Cambridge ar eregularly selling for over =A3500,000.

It would be a 'no brainer' if it was clear that prices will continue to rise at 15-20% pa. But there are record nukbers of houses coming on the the market now and maybe the prices will fall. They did once before (1997 was it?) and it was quite dramatic.

This particular house is a "make your best and final ffers" job so we need to clarify the costs as wel las we can. Bids to be in by 9 am Monday, so no chance to get quotes.

Thank you again everyone,

Robert and Gabriela

Robert

Reply to