Dropped & cracked toilet tank cover (what are my options?)

Just broke this, by mistake, while repairing the flap valve:

What are the options for "repair" for a toilet tank cover?

Reply to
Danny D.

Cyanoacryllate, and epoxy come to mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Temporarily crazy glue should hold. Once it is back together, make a sketch showing all dimensions, and go to a junk yard and look for a used cover.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Make your own out of a 1x8 or plywood.

Reply to
rbowman

If you are devious, tell them it came out of the box that way and you'd like a replacement. If you are somewhat honest, eat it, and go buy another. (no one is totally honest, no jab at you intended.)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Does it show signs of recovery after therapy sessions? How many sessions does it usually take?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

  1. Glue together...white glue, yellow glue, CA, epoxy, JB Weld...any will do.
  2. Replace with plywood
  3. Leave bare
Reply to
dadiOH

Most cities have at least one depot that resells useable fixtures salvaged from demolished houses. You can take the broken cover with you when searching for a replacement.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Um, I see a Kohler model number on the valve mechanism: Kohler, Model 703, 84679-AA

But, where is the model number of the toilet tank itself?

Reply to
Danny D.

I hadn't realized they sell "just" the tank covers, so, I should be able to find one, if I can find the model number of the tank.

Reply to
Danny D.

Sorry for not updating this sooner, but, the part number for the almond Kohler one-piece toilet bowl was stamped on a similar bowl:

Putting the information from two toilet bowls together, it's most likely some part of the combined number below: T75 UPC K3384CA 20142 72800 (#70 ALM 08 15) Where I think the 72800 is a date code (i.e., 7/28/00)

The almond Kohler cover itself was stamped with the imprint: T38 UPC 84250 20304 81100 Where I think the 81100 is a date code (i.e., 8/11/00)

Here is a top picture:

And a bottom shot:

And a fitment test:

Now all I have to do is find the thing, now that I know the probable part numbers.

Reply to
Danny D.

If you can't replace it, I'd carefully use epoxy as others suggest. My wife's always putting doilies. sea shells, etc on top of ours and no one would notice an imperfect job.

Reply to
Frank

Actually, they're both Almond. Both are in the same house. I hadn't realized that there were two of the same toilets.

Now that I know the part number, googling, for kohler T 38 UPC 84250 20304 I find this:

This one is the wrong color, but I should part out my house at these prices:

Danny D.

The same seller has your almond under the K3384 number

or Kohler has it at

Retired

OOPS..... The almond color is discontinued at Kohler. Good Luck......

Reply to
Retired

I buy a lot of replacement/spare parts for machines. That is really not a bad price. It has to be sorted, stored, photographed, advertised, packaged, and risk never being sold after all of that.

Consider all the options though.

  1. buy the lid for
  2. repair what you have.
  3. buy and install a new comfort height toilet and enjoy the benefits.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

  1. Cut one out of wood to rest on top of the tank. Paint it or cover it with adhesive-backed shelf liner. It'll do.
Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

  1. You have the pieces.

Use them to make a mold.

Use the mold to layup a fiberglas replacement.

Reply to
TimR