OT computers

Although with UEFI replacing BIOS booting, the legacy partition table is pretty much history, having been replaced by GPT (GUID partition table).

Scott Lurndal

I did some more research. I found disk wizard at a Seagate site, but buried in the manual was the caveat that it worked only if you have a Seagate drive; crap. I then noticed that it is a version of Acronis tweaked for Seagate, so I tried a search for Western Digital disk wizard, and found another version of Acronis, tweaked for Western Digital. Tomorrow I'm going to look for Toshiba disk wizard, since my backup and my wife's pcs have Toshiba external hard drives.

I have only a 300 GB hard drive (I misspoke about my D drive, it is an optical drive) and 1TB external drives. I had been using the external drive to keep some data (pictures, music, word processing documents) that I have no space for on my C drive, and for backup. So now I have copied that data back to my C drive (it is stuffed tighter than an unnamed politician's pants suits) in preparation to erasing and partitioning the external drive, and using the disk wizard to make an image in one partition, and storing my excess data in the other. I think then I'll be in pretty good shape unless we have a fire. I've not been comfortable about storing data in the cloud; it would protect me from fire, but I worry about third party access. Maybe I'll eventually make my own cloud in the garage.

Thanks for the information.

Reply to
Not

| | Although with UEFI replacing BIOS booting, the legacy | partition table is pretty much history, having been | replaced by GPT (GUID partition table). | |

I'm not entirely clear about that. My understanding is that UEFI supports standard MBR partitioning, and that GPT partitioning is not necessary except to access beyond 2 TB per partition.

I know that BootIt supports partitioning of GPT but not booting from it. XP, which I'm using, also does not support booting from it. What I'm not clear about are the longterm ramifications, but my impression is that I should be able to boot XP on future systems by using MBR partitioning.

Reply to
Mayayana

At the risk of being told I'm stupid again, I would recommend the program I use for imaging and cloning hard drives. It is a program called Easeus todo backup. It works better than HDClone, which works better than Norton Ghost. Their Partition Master is also an excellent product.

Reply to
clare

You are making it WAY too complicated. With ToDo bgackup you can image or clone the complete drive, or any combination of partitions. You can clone to a larger or smaller drive, as long as there is not more data than fits on the drive.

And no - I won't argue the point with YOU.

Reply to
clare

I used Easeus and liked it...but after finding it was Chinese I removed it. But that's just me...

Reply to
Bob_Villa

What can you buy in the USA (or Canada) that isn't at least partly Chinese??? Virtually every tool or appliance, every Radio, TV, telephone, and even CAR has chinese parts in it.

Reply to
clare

Other than smart appliances...what would that have to do with my security? We're talking intrusive software here...bad or good!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

No, but we can still make choices...

Reply to
Bob_Villa

The 50th anniversity Buck 110 knives are brin and bred inIdaho afaik.

Reply to
rbowman

Even a very large amount of "north american" software is programmed in Russia, India, China,Pakistan, and who-know-where-else. Absolutely NO guarantee it is not intrusive. And the vast majority of "security equipment" is also partly or wholly sourced from China. You just can't win.

Reply to
clare

But not all cases! 8^p

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Oh well...

Reply to
G. Morgan

You can make choices that make you feel good, but not any that make any real difference, in so many cases.

Reply to
clare