OT computers

My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard drive is dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like to increase memory, speed, etc. And, specifically would like all my information put on the new system. I really like Outlook Express, but have heard it is not available anymore.

In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what information I should be looking for. And what should I steer clear of?

As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.

thanks

Reply to
Jerry

If you're forced into Windows 8 install "Classic Shell", stay away from HP/ Compaq because of all the crapware. I have a free PC that I installed Windo ws 7 (Dell 8400 3Ghz,3Gb,320GbHDD, basically ancient) and it runs very well ! And there's always Craigslist!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

My words of wisdom would be to ask your question in a computer related ng, not a home repair group.

Sure, there are those that know a bit about computers in this ng and I'm sure there are those that know how to repair a roof in a computer related ng, but I have to ask: Would you ask a question related to ridge vents in comp.arch?

Since I doubt you would, I have to wonder why you would ask a computer related question here.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep, with Classic Shell you can turn the GUI into something familiar.

I'd recommend a whole new machine as it is not worth it to upgrade the H/W on something that old.

Reply to
philo

Remove your old hard drive and turn it into a USB external with this, to transfer your files to the new PC.

Bob_Villa

Argument I'm having with wife on her old machine. Figure new hard drive, couple of extra gigs memory and new OS, you're going to spend about $300.

Reply to
Frank

Trying to upgrade a 12-yr-old computer is not going to be practical. The easiest thing you might be able to upgrade at all is the amount of memory, but memory that fits a computer that old is likely to be very expensive compared to newer-style memory. You might be able to install a larger hard disk and transfer everything from the old one, but I probably wouldn't bother if it were my computer.

And what operating system is installed. If it's Windows XP, that will be officially "orphaned" next month: no more updates or bug fixes.

The last computer I bought -- as distinct from building my own -- was a Lenovo T-Series ThinkPad (a notebook, one of the industrial-strength ones) with a year of its 3-year warranty still in force. I understand that businesses tend to get rid of their computers (or not renew the leases) after two years, even if they are still in warranty.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I build and repair computers.

A friend of mine wanted me to install 8 gigs of RAM in his older machine. The motherboard did support it but it was DDR2.

8 gigs of RAM (good new) is over $200

I ordered a whole new mobo. CPU and 8 gigs of DDR3 for just under $200

A much better machine for a little less money...a no brainer!

Reply to
philo

Partly the answer depends on what you want. If you want a new machine you can get a new one for $300-$400. There's not much point in spending more.

If you get Win7/8 your likely choices for email are basically Thunderbird (designed to look like OE but can be a bit buggy) or Windows Mail, which can be downloaded. TBird can import your old OE email, if you save the folder with the DBX files in it.

If you can't get a Win7 box and don't want Win8 then you can buy an "OEM" DVD to install Win7 on the new box. If you don't mind Win8 then just watch out for Microsoft trying to get you to sign up for online services at every turn.

Another option is to save your current computer. The hard disk is what usually goes. Most of the other parts can last a lot longer. But here it gets tricky. Newer hard disks are SATA interface. Yours is almost certainly IDE. (The flat ribbon cable.) You can replace the hard disk cheap but you'd need to either a) find an IDE replacement or 2) buy an SATA PCI card to plug a new SATA drive into. This probably sounds very confusing. It's actually very easy *if* you know the details. You might want to find a friend to help. The basic idea:

  • Install a 2nd hard disk temporarily.

  • Use a disk management program to copy the old disk to the new disk. (I like BootIt. There's also a freebie called Macrium.)

  • Set the new disk as the only disk, removing the old one.

  • Drive your updated PC for another few years, if you're lucky.

(There are details about plugging in disks, etc. but it's too much to get into here.)

Reply to
Mayayana

Hi. When you mention extra gigs of memory, are you running 32 bit or 64 bit machine or Linux? 32 bit machine(OS) has memory size limit Just addming gigs of memory may not do any thing. New HDD? Is it SATA drive or an old IDE? My main box can multi boot XP(32 bit), W7(64bit), W8(64 bit) Ubuntu

12.3. Depending what I do I can boot OS I want/need. Lots of storage, optical drives, even has floppy yet, LOL. Another box which is up 24/7 is on ssd, 3rd gen. i7, 16 gb memory, Drives 3 surveillance cameras and NAS box. 16TB on NAS, 8TB in the box. They go to sleep when not active.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I still have 3 Thinkpads in the house, an old T42p. T61p and little newer SL500. My laptop is fully loaded ASUS ROG. Lenovo/IBM turned me off when they white listed WiFi cards. Trying to upgrade with non- compatible card I almost killed my T61p hacking it's BIOS. Lucky I managed to install the card I wanted to. still I carry it around. Having Titanium shell, few times I sat on it by accident and nothing broke.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Basically saying, get a new computer. To keep old, I'd take Oren's advice and run Belarc to see what memory might be available. I did that a while back and added memory. Her concern now is dying of XP and all the warnings being given out. Win 8.1 is over $100 from MS. I figure with new decent computer costing less than $500 and other things bound to fail on old machine, she might as well get a new one. Reticent to push anything since Win 8.1 may confound her besides she has a Win 7 laptop and an iPad. Just installed a wireless printer for those two.

Reply to
Frank

It all depends on how much money you want to spend and what you do with the computer.

If you are using a 12 year old computer and not needing anything much beter, I would get on ebay and look at some of the used ones. Mainly be Dell. Over the last several years I have bought a few. Just make sure they come with the COA tag on the box (that is sort of the Windows serial number). You can get just the computer for around $ 100 to $ 150 with windows XP installed on it.

One thing about the Dell computers is that they have a number on them and you can go to their web site and put in that number and get manuals and download the drivers for the sound card and video if you ever need to.

Win XP is almost as old as your compter and if the bugs are not worked out after over 10 years, they never will be. What makes anyone think the newer systems are any more bug free ?

New memory even if it is the old style can often be found inexpensive on ebay. Same for hard drives and other computer parts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If your machine is working and you are happy with it, buy a new drive and clone yours onto it while it is still breathing. Rock on. Use Disk Wizard or one of the other free cloning programs. DW will work if there is a seagate or maxtor drive anywhere on your system, working or not. I keep an old one laying around in case I have all different brands on the machine I am playing with.

Reply to
gfretwell

Smellest thou a rat? Three posts from Jerry, all of them in one week, two of them way OT - recall the "are two 250mg pills = to a 500mg pill?" No valid return address and no follow-up on the OT pill question. I'll make a trollhunter of you yet, DerbyDad. (-:

If someone like you asked a PC question OT, it would be a different story because you know the posters here and their expertise. A newbie posting this would be akin to him posting a WD-40 thread or an "I hate HF" or one of the dozen perpetual topics that are favored by the resident trolls.

It's sad that some people get their kicks wasting the time, goodwill and helpfulness of others but this has been going on for a long, long time. It used to be Mac v. IBM in the old, churlish days of modems and bodkins.

Reply to
Robert Green

Hi, If any one is upgrading their hardware, it'd be wise to have HD video/audio and HDMI connector plus USB3 port(s).

Reply to
Tony Hwang

What boot loader are you using? Where is it available? Is it part of Linux? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Perhaps it's because computers have become an integrated part of a modern home. If you think about it, homes these days are having to adapt to the requirements for computerized equipment since most everything has a microprocessor. The power needs to be clean for proper operation and protection of computerized electronics in the home. Many items share a computer network in the home. I can't function very well in my home without a computer and I wouldn't be posting to Usenet without a computer. So why not ask computer questions in a home repair group which is infested with any number of very talented and bright folks who know a lot about many different things and are willing to share their knowledge without being judgmental? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's because you're smarter than the average bear. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Best bet is to avoid the big mass market sellers. Go to a local shop that builds or customizes computers. The guy I use will transfer all you data.

Outlook Express is long gone, sad to say. As for your monitor, if it is anything less than a 19" flat screen, get a new one.

Windows 7 is a good system.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski