OT. Computer controlled

It does for the faults most actually see in modern cars.

Still much better than no codes at all.

Doesn’t need to be very in depth, just a decent understanding of the basics.

Bullshit.

Bullshit with both.

Bullshit.

Bullshit with the most common failures, sensor failure.

Reply to
Rod Speed

dpb snipped-for-privacy@none.net wrote

The bulk of the U6 arent out of work, they just want more work than they are currently getting. That’s no unemployed, that not employed as much as they would like.

That’s why it’s a percentage, nothing doctored about that either.

It has f*ck all effect on the economy when it’s a single digit %

That’s a lie.

Nothing embarrassing about them both being single digit %

In fac5 all the 4% indicates is that some choose to change jobs at a time when jobs for life have been gone for a long time now.

I never said that about menial labor jobs, or so abundant either.

The U6 rate isnt due to automation, its due to there being few jobs for life anymore and plenty who arent interested in doing the same menial labor jobs for life anymore.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And the fancy diagnostic system the dealer has wont find that either.

And neither will Xeno's digital oscilloscope either.

And will running around with a DMM will, its unlikely to be used to find that fault in that situation either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The compay I worked for was built around 1965 with lots of pnumatic controlers. To control a production line it took a wall space of about

15 feet for the chart recorders and controlers. Usually 2 men were assigned to watch all that for 2 production lines.

Later the controlers were replaced with computers and 2 to 4 crt monitors. As everything was right in front of a couple of computer monitors and keyboards and the computer could be set to monitor the control points to give an alarm, two operators could watch 4 to 6 lines. That cut manning to less than half.

Instead of around 100 feet of linear wall space, all it took was a coupld of desks and chairs.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It never took 100' but I remember laying out 6' x 6' x 18" McKinstry NEMA enclosures to control one molding systems. Some of the internal space was taken up by the contactors for the electric motors driving the hydraulic pumps but a lot of it was given over to rows of octal socket relays and wire duct. The duct took up more real estate than laced or ty-wraped harness but it made 'programming' changes easier. Programming was done with a roll of MW, wire strippers, and a screwdriver.

The front of the doors was taken up by Eagle Signal plug in timers, temperature controllers for the molds, and various Square D pushbuttons and switches. 'Those were the days, my friend' to quote some song.

I kid about programming but ladder logic, fluidics, TTL, microcontrollers, Android tablets, and so forth are all the same to me.

Reply to
rbowman

You might actually RAISE the average

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I buy them at about that mileage, for a song, and get another 10 or

12 years out of them - for peanuts.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

All the best tools in the world are no replacement for a tech who knows what's going on. Gotta know how it is SUPPOSED to work before you can know what's wrong. Gotta know what's wrong before you can fix it. A code scanner will tell a knowlegeable tech what the computer is seeing - and the tech's knowlege will tell him what could cause the computer to see that. If you get a code saying bank 1 lean, there are a few quick tricks that will tell a good tech if it IS running lean, or if it is a bad sensor. If it IS lean - there are a few tests that can quite quickly tell you WHY it is lean and point the tech to the problem. THAT is where the DMM comes in - along with a few jumper wires - and the knowlege about how things are SUPPOSED to work.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

And bad PCM grounds are very common.

Reply to
Xeno

No more hauling the 70 pound or so square bales either. It's been some time since I've seen those. We have three major seed corn companies fairly close so there's the detassling. No idea how many are involved or the $.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I saw a lot of those... The Forest Service ranger station I worked at was a little different. At one time the FS mules used for packing were bred there but today they buy mules. However it's the winter home for the pack stock throughout the Northern Region so about 200 head overwinter there.

Some hay was grown which was harvested. There wasn't a Harobed or anything fancy like that so the bales were bucked onto a flatbed trailer, taken up to the hay barn, and manually stacked. Everybody fell out for that job. Nothing like bucking hay in August.

That wasn't the last I saw of it either. When the pack stock arrived in the fall, they were turned loose in the forest. There were a couple of stock tanks and salt licks, but they needed supplemental feed on top of what they could find, about a third of a bale per head every day, with a little more when it started to get down below zero.

Back to the hay barn to load the bales onto pickups, or sometimes the flatbed if we could get it into the fields. You can get 34 bales of hay on a 3/4 ton pickup, and off we'd go. Nothing like a nice frosty ride on top of a loaded pickup, cutting the twine and feeding out the hay. The mules and horses were happy to see you at least. That out of the way, you went back to the saddle shop for some hot coffee to thaw out.

That was in the '80s. The last time I went out there it was all round bales. Takes all the fun out of it.

Reply to
rbowman