Fans of "How It's Made" TV Show Here?

No... I don't work for them, get $ or anything else...

I'm a huge fan of the TV show and now this is an interesting web site that seems to have the same type of info in a different format...

Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

It seems similar to Ratzenberger's Made in Merka, altho I haven't seen enough of either to thoroughly compare. Ditto some of the Modern Marvels stuff on History Channel.

I find, tho, a kind of wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am quality to many of these shows, in that when all is said and done, I often haven't taken away a lot, ito of real understanding. Yeah, I see a lotta shit goin on, and yeah, most it's inneresting (entertaining??), but none of it really "registers".... Could be my ADHD/diluted meds......

But, occasionally you do see something you can relate to. For example, on Made in Merka, with U.S. Pole (no foolin, an outside lighting company using, you guessed it, big-assed poles), I saw spinning for the first time, and saw immediately that any muthafucka with a lathe and a handmade wooden die, and some kind of lever, can spin!

But, as long as they don't stick in this unRealityTV Merkin Chopper-type emotional fukndrama, I cain't complain too much. Literally cain't watch 'Chopper (it went from interesting to peculiar to just bad to nauseating), or any of those other bullshit car shows, anymore. Esp. the ghetto ones. goodgawd..... yo.

What is always at once fascinating and quite intimidating is looking at these gonzo facilities and all the mechanization (and computerization), with the realization that Sheeit, all that shit is a *custom made one-off*, just for that application! wow... Be it flipping KrispyfuknCreme donuts, bagging Lays taterchips, bottling soders, putting soles on shoes, making tires, whatever, I always ask, Goodgawd, just how much did all that mechanized artistry *cost*, and how did they goddamm AFFORD it????

Wow....

Makes moms'n'pops seem like a miracle.

And, In what's left of my conspiracy-theorized brain, I wonder if all this isn't by some design, where through the guise of entertainment/edumacation, some

*intimidation* is not going on.... Or, put alternatively, My dick is so fukn big you all better not even pull yours's out.... Another way of keeping the rabble in place, chewing their low-carb cud, and swilling Coke.

Along these lines, my own 15" is somewhat of a solace, but not much, since ahm *still* fukn broke. Not as broke as jb, or as unstable (cuz my case my bennies cover my meds), but still, perty broke....

Oh shit, Paris just came on..... gotta go.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I have a good laugh about "how it's made", can you think of ANY TV show with lower production costs? I think the former record was held by the PBS show that had a chopper flying over places, taking pictures and setting it to mucsic. This show doesn't even have to hire a chopper, and most of the time there is NO ONE in it.

About the metal spinning and how easy it looked (another fellow brought it up).... it does LOOK easy, almost any craft does when watching experts. I expect I would wind up with my blood all over the walls. There is a spinning video on youtube and the spinner is missing a couple of fingers.

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

I like the show. I just wish they would go more into detail on the processes. I'd rather have two detailed items than four or five "quickies".

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Years ago, I worked conventions for a long time. We had one called "the pack show" which consisted of machines used in automated packaging of anything. Whole car wash assemblies, whole dry cleaners assemblies, whole manufacturing assembles, as well as thousands of small individual special function machines. It was fascinating to go to the show when it was up and running, and see how they do it. They were packaging things faster than you could see. The really interesting ones had shape recognition, and would align the contents by computer recognition before packaging. Like I say, fun to go and watch.

And yes, I do love to watch How's It Made, as their shows cover the commonest of things, many of which I had wondered about. Many times, the way they do it is so very simple, one wants to slap themself in the forehead and say, "Duh!"

Steve

Reply to
SteveB
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Indeed, the pithy-er version of my rant.

Altho "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" did have some edumacational ring to it, no? :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Thu, Jul 12, 2007, 10:08am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (LLBrown) doth sayeth: I have a good laugh about "how it's made", can you think of ANY TV show with lower production costs? I think the former record was held by the PBS show that had a chopper flying over places, taking pictures and setting it to mucsic. About the metal spinning and how easy it looked (another fellow brought it up).... it does LOOK easy, almost any craft does when watching experts.

I like How It's Made, because it gives a lot of information I probably wouldn't come across otherwise. Personally, I consider it a 'reality' show, because it deals with things that everyday people use and can relate with.

Most every thing looks easy, because the ARE easy. The hard part is learning to do them well, and/or without killing yourself, or someone else. Or injuring yourself so badly you have to have someone care for you the rest of yur life.

I wish someone would bring Monster Garage, and/or Junkyard Wars, back. No way they were 'reality' shows, but great entertainmen, and I even learned a few things from then. American Hot Rod would hav been fine, if they had kept Boyd Coddington off the show - watcing hs people work I learned some stuff - he was just annoying. American chopper, bleah, just annoying, they should put on Southern Steel in its place, much better looking bikes, and everyone works well together, entertaining, and inspiring.

J T
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

This is the whole premise for most of the New Genre of ShitTV. Zero SAG costs. Some may be lower than others, but all are dert cheap, production-wise.

Altho, as of late, the concentration of bullshit in ShitTV is so intense, they need more and more """writers""" and producers to choreograph/coordinate said bullshit.

I remember a ditty on This Old House, the progenitor for all that followed house-wise, where it took about 15 takes to get a piece of goddamm sheetrock correct.... Sleight of hand, even back then.

Cain't get much cheaper than Mike Rowe, on Dirty Jobs. I mean, what's he got? Him, one camera guy, and an digital editor. And Mike, I bleeve, does his own writing/scripting. Intelligent guy. One of the few watchable programs. Wish he would do something more along the lines of "interesting jobs". Or, jobs period, to give a cross section of Merkin Werkin Class Misery.

Whilst jobs still exist.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

My only complaint is it started out as "Comment C'est Fait" and was a French Language only Show, Once Discovery realized Hey people are interested they translated the voiceovers WITHOUT checking them against the industry they came from.

IT drives me nuts

French Has less words than english so they use multiple words to describe a process

English Has more words to specically describe a process

The Translators and poducers not checking against somone in the industry for example call anything involving joining metals Soldering (Safe episode a guy welding safes with a MIG welder was "Soldering the safe") and there are rampant examples f it from early n in the series (I think it took like 4 seasons before it was caught)

the Reason for it though is that in French the word for Soldering Brazing and welding is ALL the same word which is literally soldering But if you need to specify you say the process such as Soudure a Gaz (Oxy-Fuel) or Soudure A TIG to specify.

(By the same logic a guy assembling circuit boards and one who welds ships are both called a "Soudeur")

its > No... I don't work for them, get $ or anything else...

Reply to
Brent

I noticed that... There is a web site somewhere that has a lot of the older shows archived... When I first got bit by the bug to see the shows... Someone sent me the link and I spent about 18 hours straight at my PC watching episodes of all the shows they had...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Google "Industry on Parade". You can find some of the video online

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Yes, it is filmed in Quebec which has its own version of French. Here in Canada we get the English translation often with the wrong words because trade terms and trade slang cannot be literally translated unless you know the industry in both languages. I used to work in the natural gas utility that had a Quebec division, and I had to get English translated into Quebec French, our local translator could do OK on most copy but failed to know the industry terms used in Quebec, we had to forward our translations for approval/editing by the Quebec division.

On the show, they frequently use the wrong terms, mispronounce the correct terms and many of the Canadian versions have a woman with a harsh irritating voice. When I travel in the US I notice she is replaced by another voice that is easier to listen to.

Reply to
EXT

=========== FWIW

Reference #57 Metal Spinning

21370 $4.95

Metal Spinning

4830 $9.95

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Regardless of the production costs, they still manage to take a camera in and up close to machines and processes that an average citizen would never be able to see. That's the value of the show.

Reply to
Jim Stewart
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Dan Murphy here on AMC posts links to videos of machining stuff once in a while. Some really neat stuff.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:tXtli.21$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Wow. I think this is the first post I've ever read by you that didn't have a word spelled in PVspeak...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

"Proctologically Violated"

LOL! As one who just returned a few hours ago from qualifying, I just had to say how GOOD it is to get the twice-a-decade colonoscopy out of the way.

I was hoping technology had changed in the interim, but that damn gallon of powdered wine they make you drink still _blows_ ... no pun intended!

Reply to
Swingman
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

My bad... Should have read,

"Some really neat stuff, yo."

Note: Since "yo" and "bea" are essentially syntactically equivalent, one can use them interchangeably, pretty much at one's caprice.... bea.

Methinks we have too much free time. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Plonk

Reply to
Butch Duckhead

At least on How It's Made they have a narrator who appears to be a native English speaker. Discovery (Science Channel) has another French Canadian show that they have run using a woman who, although she does not have a pronounced accent, is clearly a native French speaker who also happens to know English. She occasionally uses idioms that sound odd in English. It is possible that during her narration she might have spotted those and pointed them out to the producer who chose to ignore her suggestions, or she might have been hesitiant or afraid to say anything and kept her thoughts to herself. It's more likely that she simply didn't pick up on them. There have been other instances where she has mispronouced some common, everyday words that no native speaker would.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon