What is it? Set 282

A new set of items has been posted:

Rob H.

"Rob H." scribbled:

- used with the older style quart oil can. drop it in the pitcher, close the lid puncturint the can and pour out the oil.

Reply to
usablevirus

are supposed to help pry the two halves of the log apart.

1607 is hangers for a shower curtain.
Reply to
Doug Miller
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

and again som silly guesse from germany

1603 no idea 1604 friction wheel from a tank, leading wheel for the chain 1605 "filtering device". the hook inside is used to filter out bigger polution while pouring. or to divide different heavy liquids, like oil from water 1606 "spaltaxt", oops, english word? to split wood 1607 no idea 1608 no idea

greetings chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben

"Christian Stüben" fired this volley in news:gtc0r7$8cq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

bigger

Nah... it's an oil can pitcher. Drop in a can, push the lid shut to contain AND open the can, then pour.

Replaced in the US with the "oil spout".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
1603 It's a "medical device" early 20th century, delivers a mild electrical shock through the roller. Should be a ground wire with it somewhere. There was a lot of this stuff around when electricity was new and mysterious.

1604 Track chain drive sprockets from something. Probably a crawler type tractor, could be from a track drill or something else that used tracks.

1606 Wood splitter. The insert pieces cam out to push the wood apart.
Reply to
Bill Marrs

1603 - Quack medical device?

1604 - Crawler drive sprockets. Used to drive the link belt tracks on various equipment. Those are VERY worn!

1605 - Juice server. Place juice can inside, close lid, serve juice. Mainly to keep things cleaner than pouring out of the can and to also make it "look" better.

1606 - Splitting maul head. The levers contact the wood and force the wood apart. They work OK on woods that split clean. Stringy woods are a PIA.

1607 - Tarp clip?

1608 - Looks sorta like the tool used to lock a split rim ring for initial inflation.

Reply to
Steve W.
1604 - truck or crawler drive sprockets. At one time most cars and trucks used chain drive, but a 50Lbs sprocket was on the large side. 1605 - Juice can pitcher. We used to get juice in half-gallon or quart cans. 1606 - Wood grenade maul head 1608 - Tool for spreading and pulling automotive split rims. I sold one on Ebay for a $150 last year
Reply to
Stupendous Man

1604: Track Sprockets for a track driven farm implement or construction machine. 1605: Oil pourer, put an old oil can in it, close lid, punch can in one operation, pour oil as needed. 1606: Splitting head for axe, side levers wedge apart the log.

1607: Shower curtain clips or towel clips.

1608: wheel truer
Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Thanks, looks like this is correct.

You've got the right idea but it wasn't for oil, nor for juice as others have guessed.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Was it for evaporated milk?

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

Correct

This is the most popular guess but it's not correct, also it's not a tarp clip, as someone else suggested.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It wasn't for milk, this device was made obsolete by another invention that followed it some years later.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1603) Two guesses here:

A) used for electroplating large objects which can't be put in a proper plating bath. This would require a sponge-like sleeve around the roller with an electrolyte soaked into it. It would also require a lead from the cap side of the cell (not likely at true multi-cell "battery" in there).

B) Old electrically-based "therapy" tool similar to the high voltage devices with glass rubbing devices (diathermy machine). This would require a vibrator in the housing, powered by the cell to generate a higher voltage. The diathermy machines used to generate amazing amounts of radio frequency interference. I've actually seen devices built around the high voltage handle of one used for testing for high voltage breakdown.

1604) Looks like sprockets to engage the tracks in earth moving machinery. Presumably worn enough so they were replaced in the field and then just forgotten. 1605) A pitcher designed to puncture a can and poor the contents from the can.

The metals are wrong for food products.

The size is too small for the old oil cans for automotive use.

However, it might be about the right size for cans of dry-gas (methanol) used to keep water in the gas line from freezing.

It looks to have a latch to keep the lid from coming open once it has punctured the can.

1606) Looks to me like a wedge (usually mounted on an axe-like handle the remains of which can be seen in the socket) used for splitting logs. It drives in a short distance (hammered by a sledge hammer on the back) and the pawls grip the wood and apply more lateral force to encourage the splitting. 1607) Those look as though they fit on shower curtain rods. Whether they support the curtain, or something else remains to be seen. 1608) Looks like some inverse screw jack, designed to pull things together instead of to lift them. Perhaps a tool for assembling iron shod wagon wheels?

Now off to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Is it a shamplaza?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill
1605 is *NOT* for oil. Look at the dimension: 5 1/2" tall. It's for beer.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I don't know what that is, I did a quick search on it and didn't find much, so I can't say for sure but I don't think that's correct. Leo got it right, it's for beer, and it made the pull tab obsolete, as mentioned by E Z. The product name is Tapster, by Revere Co.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I mentioned in a previous posting that it could be for dri-gas (methanol).

But another possibility is for ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid), or perhaps for other additives for the gas tank (other than dri-gas). Or perhaps even the engine cleaning stuff (I forget the name) which you poured directly into the carburetor.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1607 looks to me like a plastic gizmo that clips on the edge of a plate and holds your Chardony glass while you are swanning around trying to eat and drink at a cocktail party.

John G.

1607 looks to me like a plastic gizmo
Reply to
John G.

1604 looks like sprockets from a chain drive, possibly a very old truck. 1606 is a wood splitting maul, these are still available.
Reply to
Steve R.