What is it? Set 306

A new set has been posted:

Rob H.
1748 If it has markings on the other side, I'd guess wire gauge or spaghetti gauge.

1750 The purpose is filling out or making automotive accident reports.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1751. Cigar Scissors.
kfvorwerk

"Rob H." fired this volley in news:hb6qfs0cg7 @news2.newsguy.com:

I believe 1746 is an older version of the Gestetner mailing label embosser. It embossed metal tags with an address. The tags then went into a printer device with a hopper for the stack of tags. As envelopes fed from one tray, the tags fed from the hopper one-by-one, and the envelopes were printed with the addresses.

It could be a dog-tag embosser. They looked a lot like the mailing machines, and some of them were made by Gestetner, Royal, and Smith- Corona.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns9CA54BDAB5D49lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Close... it looks more like small-office version of a Graphotype, made by American Addressograph.

It made the plates, then an Addressograph mailing machine printed the envelopes.

("Any Boy or Girl can operate it.")

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1747 security cover for padlock 1749 windshield ice scraper 1750 parking place design template ?

dan

Reply to
dan pines

1749 - tool for installing weatherstripping on a car door frame? 1750 - template used in making illustrations for written driver's test
Reply to
Doug Miller
1747: high security box for handcuffs. The cuffs go inside and then a high security padlock is fitted (often with the padlock being connected to a chain thats worn around the waist like a belt)

Used for high-escape-risk prisoners when they are being transported (at least in all the movies I have seen :)

Reply to
Jonathan Wilson

1748: A die plate, used for threading screws or rods.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin
1748 is a screw plate or threading plate. A sort of primitive threading die.

1750 is a template for filling out accident reports.

1751 is a cigar clipper.

And I think 1746 is for punching Addressograph stencils

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Peter DiVergilio

This answer is correct, I removed the word 'Frigidaire' from the handle.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1747 - Two things come to mind as possibilities: either a form used when making a splice in some sort of wire or cable or something, or sort of breakout box used to construct arbitrary adapters for electrical/electronic connectors (where a connector would lock into either end, and jumper wires through the middle could be arranged as needed). 1748 - Template for making holes for laces on a shoe (or girdle or...)? Probably not a very good guess at all. 1749 - Car ice scraper

1750 - Template to lay out depictions of traffic accidents in police reports

1751 - Tool to align a shaft with a socket that it's being fitted into. Similar (but larger) tools have been developed to fit drive shafts into automobile universal joint housings, for one example. This allows one to line up and rotate the shaft with its receptacle with one hand, leaving the other free to push them together; without such a tool, three or four hands are just about required.

1746 [sic] - I think it's an early style of typewriter; the wheel is rotated (maybe with the hand wheel) to index to the proper letter, and a lever struck on the smaller mechanism to imprint it on the paper. I can't tell if the paper roller moves or if the letter wheel etc. move horizontally, but it rather looks like the latter.

Now to read other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Yes, it's for covering the keyholes on handcuffs.

Btw, I fixed my numbering error, I had 1746 when it should have been 1752.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1747 - Handcuff security lock? Looks like one used with chain style cuffs, wraps the chain and covers the key locks. Makes them into high security cuffs. 1748 - Looks like a wire or screw gauge.

1749 - Looks like one of the old give away window scrapers

1750 - Accident template, used by Police, Fire, Insurance and a few other outfits. The outlines allow for direction, vehicle types and positions to be recorded on a standard report sheet. Looks better than the standard doodles some folks used....

1751 - Fancy cigar cutter? Or maybe for cutting tubing squarely?

1752 - Early typewriter? Or maybe a code machine.
Reply to
Steve W.
1747: a gizmo for attaching a lock to a [keyboard, mouse, steel tiedown] cable

1748: a thread gage plate; if your bolt matches one of these holes, check the nearby markings to see what you've WON! (otherwise, it's metric...)

1749: adjustment and install tool for grommet strip/seals?

1750: road and parkinglot design drafting aid?

1751: cigar cutter (very elegant design...)

1752: labelmaker (embosses metal strips and/or property tags)

Reply to
whit3rd

I sent in the picture! The roller moves, but the machine has no way of printing anything on it. Seems more like a copy holder. The machine is very heavy, and I was unable to shift it to get a better picture.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

1748 is a clock and watchmakers screw plate. It is used like a threading die. I have two, left over from my watch and clock repair shop.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Now you won't be able to get $734 for it on e-bay. :{

Reply to
LDosser

He might have used Photoshop, not a power tool.

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery