What is it? Set 458

A new set of items has been posted:

Rob H.

2661 is for holding golf tees. I never seem to use up all the tees in mine.
Reply to
mbuck

"Rob H." fired this volley in news:k2s4tb01sj4 @news1.newsguy.com:

adjustable iris and a filter holder.

2663... small belaying pin? 2664... hand sausage stuffer?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

mbuck fired this volley in news:568c13f9-c607-4e5b- snipped-for-privacy@qa3g2000pbc.googlegroups.com:

As Charlie said to Lucy about "pantophobia" -- THAT'S IT!!! (hell... I have one and didn't recognize it...)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA0CD544A3793Alloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

To answer the obvious questions -- Either one. Take your pick.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2659 - Microscope lens.

2660 - Clay pigeon cassette.

2661 - Tee caddy.

2662 - Luggage clamp.

2663 - Tent pegs.

2664 - Gunpowder Loader.

Reply to
David B

2659: It looks like it might be an attachment for a slide projector to project microscope slides. It could also be for classroom demonstrations of various optical effects like polarization, birefringence, and Newton's rings. Special slides would be placed in the holder and the lens re-projects them on the screen. This is all just an educated guess. 2662: A log/firewood carrier?
Reply to
anorton

Good guess, it is indeed for projecting microscope slides.

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

2659) A lens, with a stage either for projecting a transparency mounted on the stage, or for accepting a color filter for illuminating a scene (theatrical, or a photographic subject).

One possibility is a lens for mounting in front of a projection CRT -- one of three with different color phosphors for projecting a color image. The holder could be for a filter to tweak the image color balance.

2660) It is difficult to be sure, but I think that the size of the holes varies from disc to disc. It could be to limit flow rates, or perhaps to adjust the mixing of one liquid through the central hole, and another through the surrounding holes. 2661) It is obvious that the holes are tapered with alternate ones having the left end larger and the intermediate ones having the right end larger.

It could be for storing cutters of some small form and protecting the cutting edges -- perhaps something like dental burrs, but the chain and clip would not match with the sanitary requirements of the dental cutters, unless they were being used for a non medical purpose, as the lab I used to work for used them.

2662) Hmmm .... T-handle on the rope for pulling, a pair of jam cleats, and a groove to allow the rope to follow a curve towards the underside of the board.

The black cable ties securing the two handles together are no of the same period, so are there for display purposes.

I would say that it is designed for gathering something (round sticks, or the like) into a tight bundle and offering a handle to help carrying them. At a guess, the bundle would range from 5" to 12" diameter. Much larger and the handle would have insufficient clearance from the bundle.

2663) Various styles of tent pegs -- for driving into the ground to secure the bottom edge and the guy ropes for tents of perhaps one to four man size at a guess. 2664) If the inside end of the nozzle were appropriately threaded, it could be the answer to the list of "impossible things" which includes getting the toothpaste back into the tube.

As it is -- perhaps it is designed for forcing glue or caulking into a seam.

Very nicely made, but certainly not modern.

Now, time to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2662: The two handles would make it easy to pull the loop tight. I think it was to secure something in a tight roll. A pair of these might be just the thing to transport a rug.
Reply to
J Burns

#2662 -- For opening curtains?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Golf tee holder is correct, the rest of the answers for this week can be seen here:

Rob H.