What is it? Set 471

A new set has been posted:

Rob H.

2737 Model 24 Stielhandgranate
Reply to
j Burns

2737 "potato masher" grenade 2740 harness maker's bench 2741 portable dermatome 2742 seal embosser
Reply to
G. Ross

German hand grenade

Leather worker's vise

Some type of slide maker/viewer

Reply to
DanG
2737, thrownzegreanade at ze enemi! 2738, field kitchen size P-38can opener. 2739, glass insullator, for phone poles. 2740, reindeer seat for Alaskan kids. 2741, bench mounted razor sharpener, with barber's straight razor. 2742, embossing stamp for checks, when they clear the bank.

.

Stormin Mormon

Putten zie detonator in zie grenade, ZEN throw!

Reply to
Don Piven

Train your mind to test every thought, ideology, train of reasoning, and claim to truth.

Reply to
Casper

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, the clamp is operated with a foot pedal.

Reply to
Rob H.

2737) German "Potato Masher" grenade.

2738) I don't know. It sort of looks like a holder for a scalpel blade (surgical knife), or some kind of deburring tool.

2739) First off -- it appears to be broken at the upper right-hand corner of the photo.

It looks sort of like a tool for boring a tapered hole into something fairly soft.

Is it magnetic? It sort of looks like either a hardened steel, or obsidian -- though I'm not sure how the latter would be shaped like that.

It might be some kind of penetrator from a projectile.

2740) A stool for sitting and working on something, and at a guess from the shape of the holder part, I would think that it is perhaps for detailed work on a horse's hoof -- still attached to the horse.

2741) My guess is that the combination of the parts makes a microtome (a device for slicing very thin samples for preparation of microscope slides).

The black part is a metric micrometer head -- calibrated for measuring and/or moving in divisions as small as 0.01mm (0.000394").

The object to be sampled is put into the brass cylinder and it is poured full of wax. Once it is cooled, the wax and sample is pushed out of the cylinder and impaled on the bed of spikes in the other end of the micrometer.

It is then adjusted to put the end of the cylinder just barely projecting through the black disc, and sliced flush with the disc using the blade (which looks like an old straight "cutthroat" razor.

Then the micrometer is used to advance it just far enough to produce a slice of the desired thickness, and then another slice is made, and transferred to the slide (and usually place under a cover glass on the slide.

The other part, which looks sort of like a letter 'C' with a tail in the last photo is used to clamp it to the edge of a workbench or table to allow safer control of the blade.

2742) Looks like a tool for applying a stamping marking to paper. I suspect that there is an inked ribbon going over the bottom part, and some setable numbers -- perhaps advanced by the knob on the bottom.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, Don.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

A German microphone?? ,eg>

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

They've all been correctly identified this week, several new photos, some links, and an update from the previous set can be found here:

Rob H.

Love how you and the readers find such fascinating items. Please keep up the good work.

.

Stormin Mormon