OT Big trucks w/crip plates

Bubba wrote in news:CeGdnW15CsxTlHDPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yep. That's how it looks to me too. These crips didn't take care of themselves and now the rest of us have to pay for it.

Reply to
Zaky Waky

Are you saying that you think there should be a "crip parking" bureaucrat appointed to decide who gets a HC plate? ...or should doctors decide what their patients need?

The only thing that bothers me about HC parking is that there seems to be about 10x the number of spaces as needed in many places (HD and such, in particular).

Reply to
krw

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:1vidncl_OLkcvHDPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Don't need to be a Doc. Just not blind.

There seems to be a lot of anger here towards anyone who doesn't want to kiss the fat asses of the crips.

Enjoy your life. You made it.

Reply to
Zaky Waky

By walking 30' further? You must just be another "fat ass" and pissed because your doctor won't placate you.

Reply to
krw

I would never use the term "Crip", I consider it to be pejorative.

If you read the article I posted above, you will find an explanation of what they are doing in Illinois and why.

"A state law taking effect Jan. 1 says only motorists whose impairments prevent them from being able to pay a meter can park for free in those spots. Before, anyone with a disability parking placard could do so."

Source:

From this information it is apparent the state of Illinois has already passed laws that provide for different levels of disabilities.

In my opinion, I think determining a level of disability for purposes of special privileges or entitlements should be done conjointly by representatives of the respective individual and then reviewed by the state.

Anecdotally, I have personally observed fraud and abuse with the handicap parking privileges not to mention federal and state disability entitlements.

Putting stricter controls in place for all such government privileges and entitlements would be a positive step, IMHO.

Reply to
Lab Lover

Sure. Not my word (hence the "scare quotes").

We're on the same page. My issue is those who judge others based only on their appearance. There *are* legitimate reasons for having a WC permit that may not be obvious to the average Usenetter. Let law enforcement do their job. I wish they would, WRT welfare and disability checks.

Reply to
krw

I'm not PC so it is OK by me.

OK by me too. Having a physical disability does not make you too poor to pay for parking.

Here in CT a doctor has to sign off on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think that is the case in most, if not all states. However, I have known quite a few less than honest and ethical doctors.

Reply to
Lab Lover

Lab Lover wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am seeing it more and more and more and more. IMO the only people who are denying the abuse are the ones benefiting from it.

Reply to
Zaky Waky

Me and wife are 78. Back in 2005 I went shopping for a 'retirement' vehicl e - criteria 'easy to get in and out'. Tried a van on a windy day. Ya got ta be kidding!!.

Tried an SUV but my prejudice against those contraptions said no and the lo usy gas mileage only confirmed it.

Tried Subaru but didn't see much improvement over a standard mid size car.

Looked at the Ford 500 - and bought it. sits up considerably higher than r egular mid sized, basically turn around and sit down, no crawling down int o a hole. Decent gas mileage. I'd still like one that sits up higher thou gh. Still driving it at 60,000 miles - we don't do a lot of traveling.

For a good 'old age' car one is hard to find. Basically I want a 2x stripp ed model with no frills that I wouldn't use anyhow. I had a slow day waitn ing on a lube/oil change and checked with salesman for such a car. Not ava ilable except by special order.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I'm 78 and very active, cut 10=12 cord wood annually etc. Had a rig in a Pape (john Deere) dealer for service and got a ride home. Yep one of them big things. I had one heck of a time getting into the cab, no running boa rd. I agree that those jacked up POS's are not a vehicle for anyone with a 'disabled plate'. Of course there is the possibility that the driver is no t the disabled person. Applies to me but I only use the disabled parking w hen the wife is with me.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

We're not your age but bought two vehicles last year. The back end of my Ranger rusted out so there wasn't much choice but to replace it. Used vehicles were just stupid expensive so I bought a new F150. I like it a lot.

On the way out of the dealership, the sales manager mentioned that they had just gotten a Mustang convertible in the same color. A few days later my wife said "I want it", so... Not exactly a "sit upright" car. Fun, though. ;-)

It really seems they are missing the market. Something on the order of 60% of the new cars were bought by people over 55. This demographic is the only one with the money.

Reply to
krw

That seems to be the root problem, no? Grab a few licenses and the message will go out.

Reply to
krw

Yup, my original comment was:

"No surprise that Illinois is cracking down on abusers of handicap parking permits, especially when it cuts into their revenue!"

Standing between a government and it's perceived revenue is more dangerous than getting between a momma grizzly and her cubs!

Reply to
Lab Lover

I thought it was Chicago that made the deal with the private company, not the State of Illinois. While handicap placards would be issued by the state, enforcement would be by each individual jurisdiction

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Yeah, can't even get the medical boards to pull licenses when male psychiatrists have sex with 15 year old male patients..... Probation, everyone gets probation.

Reply to
Lab Lover

The 150 is a good size. We have an F250 4WD for the shop. I really dislike driving it right from getting into it. My maintenance supervisor uses it mostly and says it makes a good plow truck.

I don't want a stripped model. I want everything. I have a 4 door sedan with a turbo and every option.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

HAving moved up from a Ranger, it did take a little getting used to driving it. SWMBO still won't get in the left seat. It really drives well, though.

I don't want turbo but I like creature comforts. I got the 5L V8 on the F150 instead of the V6 twin turbo "ECO" engine.

Reply to
krw

Creature "comforts" are heater, A/C, power windows and at least drivers seat, good radio. Those come standard on all vehicles any more, even the stripped ones. All the rest are just play toys that take your attention off driving.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

Start looking at Honda Element drivers.

Maybe it's just me, but around here there seem to be a disproportionate percentage of grey heads driving Elements.

My theory is that Honda accidentally put something out that caters to that market.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)