My son had (as in not anymore) one of those 'Drinking Bird' novelties -
which I now find out is a glass vial filled with Methelene (Methylene)
Chloride mixed with a red dye. The vial broke & we now have a one foot
red patch on our white vinyl floor.
I immediately tried various chemicals (Acetone, Goof Off,and Siege - a
degreaser) to try to clean it up - but it appears the Methelene
Chloride evaporated immediately - leaving the red dye firmly implanted
in the formerly white vinyl floor.
Any tips on how to proceed?
On 19 Nov 2006 18:16:46 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Here is a methylene chloride remover. Don't know what it will do to
vinyl or the urethane that usually topcoats vinyl floors.
Another method may be to get more methylene chloride mix it with
poultice to possibly re-activate the chemical and soak up some of
the red dye.
Not sure you can remove stain. Methylene chloride probably dissolved
top layer of floor, dye became mixed with vinyl, and, on evaporation,
left dye impregnated in vinyl. Even if you bleached out dye, floor
would probably be frosted and indented looking. I would repatch with
retained piece of flooring, if you have.
You will not be able to remove the red stain IMHO.
Perhaps you can create an accent color "diamond" or add several to
disguise the repair. A contrasting insert will be a better
solution than trying to splice in even the original tile since the
floor has probably changed hue from age, cleaning, etc.
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.