<< Would anyone know of any good books that would provide step-by-step guides
on how to accomplish a variety of home repairs? >>
One book cited by many of the folks in this NG is the Readers Digest DIY
Manual, ISBN 0 89577-378-3. Beyond this, you owe it to yourself to head for
your local library and take along a note pad while you survey the many volumes
available. Then head for the nearest B & N or similar bookstore and start
building your own reference shelf, buying specialized books as you need them.
<< Right now, I'm interested in figuring out how to replace 1X6 fascia trim and
1) Rent some scaffolding.
2) Climb on the scaffolding and disassemble a portion of the
soffit/fascia needing repair.
3) Enlist some friendly help, maybe a handy friend
4) Measure the area needing new stuff.
5) Buy and install the new material.
6) Pay off friend with a decent beverage, help on future projects, etc.
7) Keep reading this NG and similar for ideas and opinions. Good luck.