Book suggestions for newbie

This all started with an interest in making a small wine rack but I realized there are many possible projects I could tackle if I developed some basic skills. I have a few hand and power tools but not much skill at using them. I found lots of ebooks in groups but most are beyond my baby steps. A book I found in the library, "Basic Woodworking" by Sunset Books, is what I have in mind but it is out of print. I'd like have something on the bench when there is a free moment that I could learn to use tools, make jigs, and tackle projects. Any suggestions about something similar that is available currently? Many thanks.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 3 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Steve

No single book will have everything, but one I found very helpful as an introduction is "The Complete Book of Woodworking: Detailed Plans for More Than 40 Fabulous Projects" (Amazon link below) It has a very basic introduction to various types of wood, tools, methods, joints, finishing, etc, along with several (probably 40, I guess, but I haven't counted...) projects with lots of pictures. Remember you don't have to do things exactly as they do them in a book

- you can do a lot with just hand tools or a handheld circular saw. Also, I would suggest going to a local Barnes and Noble, Borders, or public library and perusing their woodworking books. One tool I would recommend getting before you start is a good combination square (really nice ones are $50-100, and worth it if you're going to continue with this hobby). Good luck and have fun, Andy

Andy

On 13 Sep 2005 12:40:52 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Steve) quickly quoth:

Goto

and search on "basic woodworking sunset" You'll find some starting at only a buck apiece.

is another place to find OOP books.

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques