Kenmore Elite clothes dryer making clunking sound

Hello,

My parents just bought a washer-dryer set from Sears. The clothes dryer is a Kenmore Elite model (I don't know if there is a more specific model #). It works well, but my mom notes that the dryer is making a clunking sound. She described it as a ticking or clicking sound, but when I heard it over the phone it sounds deeper than a click or tick. She says it happens even with the dryer empty. It is not too annoying to her,but I tell you, it would annoy the heck out of me. Is it possible that it is the inner drum slightly off center and hitting an internal part of the dryer? It is under warranty (obviously). I think she should call Sears and have them come out and fix it. But if there is a simple adjustment that could be made, someone please advise me.

Thanks Mike McWhinney

Reply to
eljainc

Hi!

My $0.02:

- one of the three plastic parts in the drum [the ones that are designed to make the clothes tumble] is loose. Check in the drum and tighten by opening the machine.

- a loose part in one of these plastic tumblers.

- the belt has a defect.

Pierre

pdavid

Do you remember "nylon thump" on cars with the old bias ply tires? The drum in that series dryer rides on four nylon rollers that will develop a flat spot while sitting..especially if the dryer is not run often. Then when the drum is rotating, you hear a thump every time the flat spot on the roller comes around. I believe the user manual refers to this as a "normal" sound in the troubleshooting section. The sound will usually diminish somewhat as the dryer warms up and the flat spot rounds out a little. I sold these for

15 years and it was a common complaint. If this is the sound you are describing and if it doesn't really bother your mother, I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, if the dryer is not level front to back, it is possible for the drum to ride up against the front or back of the dryer as it is only supported by those four rollers and could have some run out. It might be bouncing off the front or back. I would still bet on a flat roller.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G