Dryer making clicking sound

I have an electric dryer that is about 20 years old. Recently, we had to have our washer repaired. After the repairman left, the dryer started periodically making a ticking sound. It sounds like water dripping. The ticks are about 1/2 second apart. Eventually it stops on its own. It may go into one of these spells two or three times per day for an hour or two per spell.

The only thing I could think of that would cause this problem was the mechanical timer, but no movement of the dial (or anything else on the dryer) will stop the ticking. As far as I know, all the repairman did was move the dryer to get to the washer better.

I cannot hear the spot where the ticking is coming from. How can I diagnose this problem? It is really annoying after a while.

Reply to
mcp6453

There is possibly a problem with the dryer drive belt. You need to remove the side plates, cabinet or whatever to inpect and service it. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Why would it make the clicking sound with the dryer turned off?

Reply to
mcp6453

Mea culpa...you got me there, I didn't read the OP correctly. However, opening up for inspection may reveal the problem. Who knows, might be a funky relay or something. Unplugging it while the clicking sound is present would be informative. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Hi,

Someone is going to have to babysit the dryer to determine where/what area the noise is comming from and then likely access the dryer insides to locate what is making the noise.

Intermittant noises are nasty....you wish it would stay the same all the time so finding it would be easier.

Maybe the dryer is not back in it's exact same spot as before, they can settle to spot after sitting there for so long.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

When the dryer is clicking, will pulling the plug stop it? If so, it is an electrical problem. I don't have a solution, but it may help to isolate the source.

Reply to
willshak