Clicking or dripping sound from basement ceiling

I have a partially finished basement in a 15 year old house. From the unfinished utility room I can see between the basement ceiling and the ground floor floor. I have the AC pipes and new copper water pipes in this space running the length of the basement. It is slighly less than a foot in height.

In the basement I hear a dripping sound or a clicking sound on a fairly constant basis. Every 30 seconds or so. This has been going on for as far as I can recall; several months. There is absolutely NO sign of water or other codensation. I figure after several months if it was a leak I would have seen something by now. The floor above is carpet on top of plywood. Could I have gremlins running around in the AC pipes? Water condensing in the AC pipes? Or is it just the floor settling?

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Reply to
User

There are a number of explanations. I would certainly try to find it. If there was a leak, most likely you would eventually find some water. Take care that water can travel a fair amount, if the surface is ideal for it to do so.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Thanks

With a ladder and flashlight I can see the area in question. If it is simply water dripping than I doubt it is on the ceiling sheetrock. It seems louder than that. It could be either dripping in the AC pipes or it is wood creaking/settling.

If it was condensation in the pipes would that be a serious problem? (Is that even common)? If it is the floor plywood settling on the beams is that a concern?

Reply to
User

I would guess it is most likely condensation going down inside a drain pipe where it belongs. or the expansion - contraction of hot water pipes or heating ducts.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Normally not. Condensation in a drain pipe is not going to cause any problem, but the question remains if that is what it is or if maybe a commode is leaking or something else is leaking and it is not condensation. I don't really think condensation like that is common.

Some settling is normal and could account for an occasional noise, but nothing like you seem to have, that is far too much. On the other hand changes in moisture and temperatures on a day to day bases could cause something like that.

You have not really found enough information to know if it is problem or not yet.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan