Inverting a lock cylinder?

I just install three Kwikset locks on my house. Two of the doors have the same swing, but on one of them the lock's cylinder is upside down (notches down). I didn't realize that Kwikset made their locks handed differently.

How does one change the handing of the lock?

Is there any way to tell the handing when buying the lock?

TIA, pb

Reply to
pb

Kwikset only makes handed locks in thier leverset line. All other locks are reversible. It depends on which lock you bought on how you change it. On th basic kwiksets you need a special tool to remove the cylinder. On the Titan line you need a special key that has a grove in it. Kwikset also has a few other lines out that i havent played around with yet so I am not sure how you change those over.

Reply to
PAUL100

In most cases, it's pretty easy -- as the previous poster detailed. The special tool is really pretty primitive, and Kwikset sent me one free of charge when I contacted them about this topic.

You should be able to get this done for you at a decent hardware store. Unless you bought the locksets there, they will probably charge a nominal fee.

??

Reply to
Robert A. Barr

I thought this would be reversible. What surprised me was that they ship the locks handed differently. My locks are pretty much standard issue, and not Titan.

Ok, I was just able to solve my problem by switching the "offending" lock with an equally "offensive" one on the door of opposite swing. But the question of how to tell the lock handing when buying remains. There should be some marking on the box.

Thanks for your input.

pb

Reply to
pb

Called Kwikset with the same problem. They are sending me the appropriate tool at no charge. Too bad they don't put it in the box.

Reply to
Art Begun

Depends if it is the old style Kwikset, or the new Titan. In any case, any locksmith can change the handing. And many hardware store keyrack fellows can too.

Titans need a cut key with a notch in the bottom to allow the retainer to drop in. And then the cylinder pulls out, turn it half turn, put it back in, and take out the core removing key.

The old Kwikkies you have to take the lock off the door, pull the spindle out, and use the Kwiket tool to pop the cylinder out. Hard to explain, in writing. But somthing a locksmith can do in a couple seconds.

Some of the latches that they are selling now (JUNK) are designed to operate backwards of the old ones. More like the Weslock (JUNK) latches. So, unless you really know what you're doing... no way to know.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

First, I hope they send you pictures of how to make the tool work. Cause it's not intutive.

Second, if they shipped the tool with every lock they would create more disaster than they woudl solve. And 99% of the tools would go in the trash cause people don't know or care.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Thanks for all the replies. As I wrote, my immediate problem is solved, but I will hold onto what I've learned here.

pb

Reply to
pb

This has to do with manufacturing. When you take it apart you will see what I mean. the cylinder is completely reversable and you would really have to think out which way the latch would connect to get the handing right. The botom line is they are inexpensive locks assembled by low paid workers whos goal is quantity not accuracy. This is ok and simply the nature of the beast. I mean what do you want out of a $10.00 lockset.

If you take it into most retailers who sell the lock and tell them you need the orientation of the keyway reversed they will likely do it with a smile and tell you to have a nice day.

Reply to
JSin

By the way, the ones I have are labeled Ultramax Kwikset.

Reply to
Art Begun

I've worked with those only once. I can't remember if they are titan or Kwikky design, in terms of getting the cyl out. Ah, well.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated