Euro lock cylinder question

On my upvc back door I have a Euro cylinder lock which seems to be standard in as much as it can be operated from both sides with a key but once the key is in one side, it cannot be operated from the other side. A youtube video here shows how this function works

However I want to be able to operate the lock from both sides. Can you get variants of a Euro cylinder that will allow this and what are they called please.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'm not sure such a thing exists. If you're happy to leave a key in the lock on the inside, why not just replace it with a thumb wheel actuated lock?

That way it can be locked from the inside but unlocked from the outside with a key.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

OK so are you sure that a lock secured from the inside with such a button can be opened with a key from the outside? I'm not saying they cannot but want to be sure before buying one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It's not a button, it's a thumb wheel that replaces the key on one side.

e.g.

And yes, you can unlock it with a key from the outside when locked.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They do exist but I haven't a clue what they are called. They were being advertised as suitable for the infirm last time I bought some standard ones.

Reply to
mcp

With some, a key in side A blocks key action on side B & vice versa. With some it doesn't. I'd go to a shop & try one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you go for a thumbscrew type and your door has a letter opening anywhere near the lock then get a security cover for the letter opening on the inside.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes you can:

£14.00 (£16.80 inc VAT)

New ABUS E60 Series Euro Double NP Cylinder with 8 drill protection pins in every keyway

The E60 range has the new emergency & convenience feature where outside key operates lock even with the internal key in place. This means you will not get locked out if you leave a key on the inside (as long as you have a key to use from outside)

Reply to
ss

They can. We have three of them (all taking the same key) they are preferable by the fire service.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I've just been measuring my door lock thickness and from what I can tell a key in both sides would not work, it would just part push out the key on the other side and wedge the lock.

This is what used to happen in days of yore of course, hence I suspect the gadget you mention was invented. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good point generally but this is our back door to the garden so full length glazed and no letter plate.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Excellent! thank you

"Emergency" and "convenience" seem to be the search terms

Reply to
Bob Minchin