How do I replace Euro-lock cylinder

I caught a sneak-in burglar on Sunday morning and I think he is away with a key to the front door. I will need to change all exterior locks. The doors are Everest UPVC (not my choice or money) with multi-point locking system. The cylinders are 40-40 or 40-35. After removing the handles and key plate to gain access to the cylinder I have been unable to get the cylinder out. Looking at the euro-lock cylinders in ironmongers I could see a catch which in the ironmongers is easy to retract but I cant do this in the door. There is a very thin gap between the cylinder and the metalwork of the lock which surrounds it and ?I have tried fuse-wire, a scalpel to retract the pin so I can pull out the cylinder. How is it done? Is there a special joiners/locksmiths tool for this?

There is a bolt which goes through the door edge side of the lock into the cylinder.

You need to undo this, and then turn the lock with the key and you will find an internal cam will line up and the cylinder will slide out.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There is a screw in the edge of the door, remove it. Then the cylinder should be free, and you will feel it loose. now its just a matter of having the key in the right position to remove the cylinder by pulling gently on the key.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

My "Multi Locks" have a brass plate which covers the head of the bolt that Andy refers to. The brass plate is held by screws at top and bottom.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

This bolt usually has a PHILLIPS not a POSIDRIVE head also it is really quite frozen. You need to take the undoing of it seriously you only have one chance. Also you do not want to shear this bolt if so you will be is big trouble.

After the worst has happened and ... 8-((( ... and you are looking at a new door (or keep the old lock) then 18" Stillsons applied to the brass euro cylinder might crack it in two (so the locksmiths say). The brass is fairly brittle I beleive.

Reply to
Ed Sirett