Euro Lock

I need to urgently replace a Legge 5 lever as some scote came in and stole some items and the key.

House is 1988 build. Are locks standard for location of key hole and handle spindle relative to the door edge? (I presume I will quickly realise what the 2.5" and 3" refers to once i have taken it out - I guess it is the height (or is it??)

What are the pros- and cons of the Euro Mortise Locks

Reply to
John

If its a British Standard lock, it'll be replacable by a (different make if you want) BS lock. Swapout will be simple.

HTH

Reply to
Paul King

It refers to the width. 2.5" is for narrow stile doors. The quick way to check, without removing the lock, is to measure how far the keyhole / handle spindle is from the door edge - then buy a lock where that dimension is the same.

The big pro is that you don't have to change the whole lock to change the key. A small con is that the high security cylinders are quite long and may need a security escutcheon to prtoct them where they stick out of the door.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In article , nightjar writes

Just to add a little more, it's the depth of the lock body, not the key position (measured from the door edge). If the key posn measures 2 1/2 inches from the door edge then likely it is a 3in lock. Key 2inches in then likely 2 1/2 inch.

If it's a British Standard lock it will have a kitemark on the faceplate of the lock, where the door opens.

I think euro cylinders are far too vulnerable to attack - wouldn't have them for any kind of high security application.

Reply to
fred

If you have had keys stolen your domestic insurer will pay for new locks and their fitment.

You are insured, aren't you?

Reply to
harrogate

Yes I am insured - but why should even my insurer pay for something I can do so easily - and enjoy selecting what I want to fit - (with advice) rather than whatever is the whim of the locksmith.

I enjoy D-I-Y and selecting what I want in the house. Why opt out when the insurance is involved. I will be re-imbursed for the cost of the lock as well as the items stolen. Likewise, I shall take time to select a replacement phone and not just ask for any old phone to be sent by Orange.

Reply to
John

I recommend the Sony Ericsson T610, although I'll concede it isn't the best looker.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My record for enetering a Euro Lock stands at 15 seconds for a non protuding and under 5 for a protuder.

they are the worst locks on the market no matter what make they are the easiest locks to gain entry to, even with the new anti drill bars installed.

Just remember a PVC-U door is only as good as the cylinder installed, so even with a seven point locking system, i would never recommend one for a back door...

to give you an idea of how rubbish they are the trade price is less than £2.25 each plus the vat. "Say's it all Really"

Jason the Joiner

Reply to
Jason N Beck