Tumbler lock lubricants

We have a BS Euro anti-snap, anti-bump tumbler lock on our front door, fairly new. A couple of months ago it started to feel rough when the key was inserted; the key grated and occasionally had to be jiggled about before it went all the way in (stop sniggering at the back there!). I lubricated it with graphite powder, and for a while it was fine. But it's now beginning to get rough again. I have some 3-in-1 spray that I could use, but mindful of the reasons for not using WD40 for lubricating such locks, are there likely to be any long-term problems with 3-in-1, or should I just try again with the graphite?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Take the cylinder out (easy if Euro), pop in a plastic bag with a bit of solvent (white spirit, tri, lacquer thinner), drop in a cheap ultrasound cleaner full of water, run. Repeat with clean solvent. Alternatively spray brake or carburetor cleaner through the lock, operate a few times, repeat. Let dry.

Now lubricate with one of:

- the spray the manufacturer sells or

- TRI-FLOW Superior Dry Lubricant (a usenet recommendation from a locksmith, and a bottle should last you for all locks for a very many years...)

(Or, at the risk of a flamefest: WD-40, or graphite, but never the mix of baked clay and graphite shaved from a pencil)

Reinsatll cylinder, obv.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

PTFE powder works well too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for the replies. Some WD40 PTFE spray on the way.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I will be interested to hear if you share my enthusiasm for the stuff Chris.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil