stuck lock cylinder

An entry lock on a French door is stuck. The knobs won't turn the cylinder to retract the latch.

I removed the handles, can't budge the cylinder; i.e, get it to retract.

I pulled the hinge pins hoping I could remove the door; can't, not enough play between the latch and keeper to swing or push the hinge side of the door off the hinge knuckles.

If I could swing both the active door - the one with the latch - and the passive door at the same time, that might work but I can't because the passive door has side bolts at top and bottom of the inside edge and the only way to get at them is when the active door is open.

If I cut off the portion of the cylinder that is visible after removing the knobs, I still couldn't open it because the remaining portion is still screwed to the edge of the door.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the cylinder out or open the door? Beating the door to a pulp is not an option :)

Thanks...

Reply to
dadiOH

Yes, Chris Young, but he passed a few month back. Your post is a reminder of his as he did locksmithing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

First I'd just give the door a firm whack near the center hinge, it really should dislodge even if a tight fit.

otherwide:

You should be able to get a sawzall blade between the doors and cut the latchbolt (springbolt)

Reply to
philo

Here is to hoping you got some lube in it.

Reply to
Thomas

Have you sprayed it with PB Blaster? Worked it with the key? Let it soak for a day? Repeat?

Reply to
trader_4

I'm thinking you are right, about the only way is to cut it off.

A sawzall would do it but it would also screw up the stop on the inside of the passive door unless I could keep the blade close to vertical. A little detail tool could do it but my experience with those is that the blades last for about 3 nails. I'm going to use an angle grinder with a cutoff blade, there is enough space between the doors so it should do the job with a minimum of damage except maybe/probably to the strike plate. I probably have more of those and if not, they are cheap.

A big mahalo (thanks) to you and to all who replied.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 01/06/2017 11:41 AM, dadiOH wrote: 'd just give the door a firm whack near the center hinge, it really

ok, hope you get the door open soon, your wife is probably getting hungry in there!

Reply to
philo

I haven't tried it, but what about drilling out the lock cylinder?

Reply to
trader_4

dadiOH posted for all of us...

I'm confused is the cylinder itself stuck/won't rotate or is the bolt itself that won't move. Have you removed all the knobs, escutcheon, etc to get to the bolt? Usually the bolt mechanism has a slot or opening that allows the cylinder to meet inside/outside. I have stuck a screwdriver in a slot and whacked it with a hammer to move the bolt-toward the hinges.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Good points. Usually all that comes off from the inside and you're left with just the latch mechanism in the door which can be moved with a screwdriver, etc. The problem is when you can't take the stuff off because you can't get to the other side of the door. But with this door, I think he has access to both sides.

Reply to
trader_4

I misspoke using "cylinder"' It is not the part that turms with a key ot knob but that which is actuated by doing that; the bolt/latch mechanism. All is off the door, just a big hole left with the latch mechanism; I have whacked, pushed, pulled, pried, it won't move, no idea why. Well, I CAN move its innards a bit but doing so doesn't retract the bolt.

Reply to
dadiOH

If it does, it is not in the visible portion.

Reply to
dadiOH

If the knobs won't turn to retract the bolt,

and if with the knobs off you can't manually turn the little thing that ret racts the bolt,

then it seems likely that the bolt itself is somehow jammed in its slot or track.

I'm not sure how that would happen. One possibility is that the door itsel f has dropped or shifted and is putting sideways pressure on the bolt. If so, you might free it by shoving the door different directions.

But I think cutting the bolt through the crack between doors is going to be your most likely way to proceed. Unless this is a security hardened bolt, which seems unlikely, just grab a hacksaw blade, wrap a little duct tape f or a handle, and go at it. It will be slow but with a sharp new blade you should be through in a few minutes. I would call that a two beer job, mayb e 2.5.

Reply to
TimR