Household goods affordability

I think he is talking about the group where he worked. That is how most plans work, you insure from 5 to even 5000+ employees all at the same price per month. The average age of those covered my be 35 or 45 and require little medical care. As a 60+ year old individual you are more likely to need lots of care, thus a higher premium.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Tony944

Afraid so... She has the full-boat (as do I) including dental and prescription ($7.50 co pay on a 90 day supply). We are in the Chicago Metro area that doesn't help, I don't think, premium-wise.

Thru BC/BS my "supplemental coverage is a lot lower than her full coverage but still high when you compare it with other supplemental policies.

She goes on Medicare 2nd quarter of 2014 and I will be dropping Bc/BS and picking up supplemental for both of us. I managed my late father's affairs for several years before he passed. He had Medicare A &B and a premium supplemental plan through AARP written by United Healthcare. He paid very little out of pocket all things considered and he had significant medical issues those last several years. Think his premium was around $300/mo for United Healthcare. Last I checked (a year or two back) premium had not increased by very much at all.

So, all in all, barring a total screwing by Obummercare's implementation, I'm hoping to cut my premium by about half next year. Fingers are crossed.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

My AARP supplement for Plan F is $205. Medicare is $104. Prescriptions $37. I'm in CT, also a high medical cost state.

My wife recently had surgery and 2 week hospital stay, , month in a physical rehab, another 3 days hospital stay and a daily nurse visit every day for 5 months. My total out of pocket cost is $0. Actual cost is probably in the range of 32 years of premiums.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

\

zING!!!!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Bingo. Mc Cain's my senator. I've been to his "town halls". Just like the letters he sends to reply to contact emails, all his town halls amount to are him telling you why you are wrong and he's right. And that's if you can actually get him to establish his position on something instead of pandering to both sides of the fence.

the only people they represent are the people who bribe them with large amounts of cash.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I suppose there's some truth to that but if you want to compare you need some basis of comparison. Dollars or hours are about all I can think of. I sort of like hours better because it makes it somewhat closer to a work = get stuff equation. If the average weekly income in 1940 (for 60 hours of work) was $50 it would still make a big difference if that $50 was earned with 40 hours of work or with 60 hours of work. So if you looked at 1940 versus 2000 and said the average weekly income in 1940 was $50 and in 2000 its $500 it looks like people make 10 times as much for a weeks worth of work. But if you covert it to dollars per hour labor equivalent than 1940 is $0.83/hr and 2000 is $12.50/hr and the ratio is not 10:1 it's 30:1. It's not nearly as important as "what is cost in dollars" but "what it cost in your labor/time". Another way to look at this is the old joke about how if Bill Gate's drops a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk when getting out of a taxi it's not worth his time to stop and pick it up, his time is too valuable. Now for a single instance that's obviously silly, but what if the comparison was - should Bill Gates spend all day picking up $10,000 dollars in $100 bills that fell out of his suitcase or should he let it go and proceed to his meeting in the penthouse to seal some deal. Clearly for Bill he should just hope on the Elevator. If that happened to me... I'd be on my hands and knees scooping up the money, my "important meeting" of the dust bunny club could wait.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I was just getting out of college in 1972 and setting up my first real "place of my own". As a bachelor chef, one of the first items on my list was a microwave oven. Unlike most of my cars, it's not something I "wish I still had" but I sure enjoyed using it and quite honestly there isn't more then a dimes worth of functional difference between the one I had in 1972 and the one I have today other then increased power and a revolving turntable.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

All this BS is before the supreme court again. somehow some of the justices don't understand the concept of "treat everyone equal" preferring to treat some people as more equal then others.

The reason a college degree is required for almost any decent job today is because making a degree a job requirement eliminates many of the "equal employment class" from the job pool and somehow has managed to escape the ire of the Affirmative action wackos. They have, however, started attacking the notion that you can ask someone if they are a convicted criminal when considering employing them. That's unfair, you shouldn't be allowed to protect your workplace from KNOWN thieves cuz they 'paid their time' in jail and shouldn't get punished again in the workplace. I guess the notion that maybe they shouldn't have been out thieving never occurred to these people.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

We currently spend around 13% of GPD on medical care and the projection is that it will rise to 25%. Do you really think that's sustainable? A quarter of ALL our productivity will go to medical care????? I know the below is hard to read but at the least it shows how much GOVERMENT money is spent on various categories. So when you look at the healthcare it presumably does NOT include private payments to health care costs. Does it really seem right that the two biggest expenses of the gvt are pensions and health care??? Is that the purpose of GVT ????

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

For us, eating out was a once or twice a month thing and it WAS fast food. I don't think I ate in a real restaurant till I was 16.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The pension payout is MY money. My employer and I have been paying in 15% of my wages my entire career.

The health care problem is going to bankrupt the US. Over half the people are lazy and obese from eating sugar-loaded junk food. Most are moments away from a heart attack or stroke and Joe Taxpayer gets stuck with the nursing home tab.

Reply to
Tubby McJunkFood

How about determining the intelligence of job applicants because you have very expensive equipment you don't want some dumbass destroying because he can't read and understand the operating instructions? But darn, that would be racist even if it eliminated many Caucasian job applicants. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What do you think "covet" means? It means "yearn to possess or have". How does wanting to have something wreck society? Isn't that what consumer demand is all about?

What evidence do you have to support this?

Sin. "Sin is treating people as things".

That doesn't make a lick of sense. If my neighbor has a Rolls Royce, and I think, "I envy his Rolls Royce. I wish I had one", where's the harm?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I don't recall my parents ever taking the family out to a fast-food restaurant (there weren't many). We would occasionally go out to a restaurant but certainly not once or twice a month, even before my father died. Rarely, in fact, unless we were traveling.

OTOH, we've been going out three times a week, lately (over the weekend), but never to a fast-food restaurant, again, unless we're traveling (eat on-the-go). Don't need the fast part - would rather have the food part.

Reply to
krw

years ago, state gvt, I was going to interview applicants for my clerk position. I thought I would do a very short dictation and have them type it up as part of the interview. Mentioned that to HR and they blew a gasket. It was to BE ASSUMED that if HR put them on "the list" that they had those minimum qualifications. Did HR test them for that? No, they just took their word for it!!! But I was not allowed to verify they actually had the skill. Basically we were not allowed to "test them" in anyway as part of the interview.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If I'm working I want the fast part. But it surprises me how little actual difference there is in price between my wife and I eating at a typical fast food place, maybe $16 versus a real sit down restaurant, which for a non-fancy outing might be $21. For the extra $5 you get served, real plates, actual food.....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

What *they* posses. If you don't think that's poisonous, you must be blonde.

Do *you* know what "envy"means?

You're justifying envy. You said it. I'm just repeating what you said.

One.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Envy (from Latin invidia) is a resentment which "occurs when someone lacks another's quality, achievement or possession and wishes that the other lacked it."

Reply to
krw

Exactly. At work, I'm generally eating out at least once a week, always to a real restaurant. Of course, I'm not picking up the check (suppliers buy). ;-) Otherwise, I bag my lunch.

If I'm working around the house, I won't eat until I'm done. If we go out, then, it's a real restaurant. You're right, the difference isn't significant, at least for two people. There's also the tip; that's another $5.

Reply to
krw

On 10/21/13 2:59 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote: nch of new toys and techniques they didn't have in the past.

No, it doesn't seem at all right to me. I vote for what ever small government candidate I can. I picture the Founding Fathers looking down on us and yelling "No, you idiots, that's not what we meant".

Reply to
Dean Hoffman