ECHO weed trimmer & warranty

Echo weed trimmer

Purchased this two years ago. It's easy to use, light weight and starts very easily every time. However last week I noticed some gas leaking. Found that the fuel line to the PCV valve was splitting. The user manual indicates that warranty is for five years including the fuel lines. The manual also indicates that fuel with 10% ethanol is fine. Took it to an authorized service center and they claimed that fuel system not covered by warranty because use with ethanol fuel. My choice was to argue about it or buy the part myself and install. Service center also said 3 week wait for service. Clearly they did not want to handle this, and I couldn't wait 3-weeks, so I bought the

3-hose fuel line assembly for $18 and installed it myself in 10 minutes. This is a great trimmer but you can't depend on the quality or warranty.

Here's a letter I wrote Echo: Dear ECHO,

I am writing about a product warranty issue. Two year ago I purchased and registered an ECHO GT-225 Grass Trimmer and have been very pleased with it. However last week it developed a fuel leak in one of the fuel lines which I noticed was split where it it attached to the little white (PCV valve??) thing. I brought the trimmer to a local authorized service center and showed them the split line. They surprised me by saying that it wasn?t covered by warranty because I had used ethanol gasoline (despite up to 10% ethanol being usable according to page-12 of the Operator?s Manual) and also it would take three weeks to get to it because that were supposedly backlogged with work.

Since it?s the middle of Spring here I could not do without the trimmer for three weeks; so rather than argue the points with them I decided to purchase the replacement part Kit #900103 (Attachment-2) and fix it myself (which took 10 minutes). I am relating all of this to you, because prior to last week I would have given the GT-225 my enthusiastic endorsement: it always starts quickly and easily, it?s light weight and the Rapid Loader Trimmer Head is great. Unfortunately my warranty experience has changed that. Right now I am of the opinion that the warranty is effectively worthless and counter productive to sales in an age of ubiquitous customer feedback via the Internet. Sincerely,

----------- After they received the letter they called me to tell me that fuel lines were considered "maintenence" items rather than "warranty" items and that they allow 30 for warranty work to be completed. The also offered me a free tune-up kit to compensate me for my trouble. I told them to keep the tune-up kit.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I'd avoid the line after reading Amazon reviews on them.

Reply to
Frank

snipped the repair story and most of the letter

I think I'd have told them to shove that kit where the light doesn't shine . Right after I read them the part of the manual that says the lines are covered .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 13:38:22 -0500, "Terry Coombs" wrote in

I really wanted to do that, but the person who called was a young lady obviously just reading from a script. She was an innocent lackey. If the customer support manager (who the letter was addressed to) had called, I would have been much more strident.

Reply to
Vic Dura

In our church a guy owns/operates small engine shop. Couple years ago I went to his shop and wanted buy a small Echo chain saw but he steered me to Stihl. He said he had enough with Echo 'cos they keep changing little things in design making it it difficult to keep up. He quit selling Echo already. Small Stihl is good around house, even wife can start it. Trimmer I use 20V Lithium battery B&D. I like auto feed line feature which works very well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't know how long the 10% junk has been around, but surely long enough that the small engine people should be able to deal with it.

Sounds like Microsoft stopping support for Win XP. That system has been out well over 10 years and if the bugs and such are not out of it by now, they never would have been, and now there are several more systems for them to support.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sounds like BS to me. The ethanol fuel has been around for a long time and manufacturers of gas equipment have to deal with it. The right material has been available.

I guess they have some sweet sounding little girl call because they know anyone else would get what they deserve.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have XP pro work station only used for my book keeping for small business we own. Funny thing this box is still getting updates from MS.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You better check , those updates are NOT for XP , but likely are for stuff like office suite , etc . You are probably still getting the malicious software removal updates , I know I am . But nothing for XP itseslf - unless you purchased the business update option , I believe those are still getting security updates .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have an Echo leaf blower and it is a dismal machine. It never started easily. When I returned it, the guy said the fuel is old. Old? It was only in there a month! Anyway, I started to work on it. I found that the carb adjustment screws require a tool which "only dealers can buy". I built one, adjusted the carb, and it now start fine. Just what are they trying to prove (manufacturers and EPA). Still looking for the "real tool"!

Reply to
Art Todesco

Are these plastic adjusters? Don't they pull-off...and there's a slot for a flat blade on the needle valve?

Reply to
bob_villa

I had a weed eater that needed a special tool to do the carb adjustments. Only found one place that listed it and they were out of them. It seemed the head of the screw had an off center pin hole I finally got the 'screws' out and cut a slot in them for a regular screw driver. Several other small engines needed special tools, but I found them on line.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You're right all security updates.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yeah, that was what I was going to do but I didn't really want to take apart a brand new carb. So I kludged up a tool that worked for one time, and got it "properly" adjusted. The adjustment is a mini D-shaped rod, but is recessed. So the tool cannot be too big in diameter. Next time I need to adjust it, I'll have to make another one. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy a tool somewhere, or I will have to disassemble and put slot in the D-shaped rod ends.

Reply to
Art Todesco

It's always amazing to me how some people can't accept victory. Yeah, I agree they should have covered the cost of the fuel line under warranty. But they offered you something of equal or greater value, that you could use, after the fact. I would have accepted it and moved on. But if you want to tilt at windmills, your choice.

Reply to
trader_4

But that is OK as XP is a decent, stable operating system. I still have one machine at home and two at work that perform everything they need to do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski