Solid state replacement regulator for '58 Chevy C60

I'm fed up w/ the old mechanical regulator...it was overcharging to the point of boiling battery dry, have adjusted it about a half-dozen times and it's either too hot or now not charging fully-enough.

I had found a replacement SS regulator some months ago but now for the life of me can't seem to locate it. Seems like several of the parts places had it but none of the links in my history seem to find it now and I can't recall the manufacturer (was 3rd party, not OEM) and my searches are also coming up empty...

Seems like there was a 'V' in the manufacturer's name but that may be false...

Anyway, anybody know of which speaketh and can point me at 'em?

Reply to
dpb

Pull the generator off and install an alternator with a built-in regulator. You can even go to a single wire unit for a few bucks more.

Reply to
clare

I agree. Ive changed the generators to alternators in my old farm tractors. generators and those crappy regulators were always a pain. THey were one thing on the well built old vehicles that was garbage right out of the factory. But thats all they had at the time!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

+++++1, gennerator is losing battle.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Absolutely. I put a Chevy 12v alternator in my '64 Karmen Ghia that was

6V. Anyone knowing that air cooled engine will say it is not easily done, but you leave the generator in place too.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm fed up w/ the old mechanical regulator...it was overcharging to the point of boiling battery dry, have adjusted it about a half-dozen times and it's either too hot or now not charging fully-enough.

I had found a replacement SS regulator some months ago but now for the life of me can't seem to locate it. Seems like several of the parts places had it but none of the links in my history seem to find it now and I can't recall the manufacturer (was 3rd party, not OEM) and my searches are also coming up empty...

Seems like there was a 'V' in the manufacturer's name but that may be false...

Anyway, anybody know of which speaketh and can point me at 'em?

Reply to
dpb

I get a bunch of hits searching for "solid state automobile generator voltage regulator", but I don't want to research further.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I'm fed up w/ the old mechanical regulator...it was overcharging to the point of boiling battery dry, have adjusted it about a half-dozen times and it's either too hot or now not charging fully-enough.

I had found a replacement SS regulator some months ago but now for the life of me can't seem to locate it. Seems like several of the parts places had it but none of the links in my history seem to find it now and I can't recall the manufacturer (was 3rd party, not OEM) and my searches are also coming up empty...

Seems like there was a 'V' in the manufacturer's name but that may be false...

Anyway, anybody know of which speaketh and can point me at 'em?

Reply to
Hecho en China

well, here is one possibility:

Retired

Alternator has more current capacity and is efficient charging. It's out put does not depend on engine RPM. Unless OP wants to keep every thing original, replacing with an Alternator is a no brainer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm fed up w/ the old mechanical regulator...it was overcharging to the point of boiling battery dry, have adjusted it about a half-dozen times and it's either too hot or now not charging fully-enough.

I had found a replacement SS regulator some months ago but now for the life of me can't seem to locate it. Seems like several of the parts places had it but none of the links in my history seem to find it now and I can't recall the manufacturer (was 3rd party, not OEM) and my searches are also coming up empty...

Seems like there was a 'V' in the manufacturer's name but that may be false...

Anyway, anybody know of which speaketh and can point me at 'em?

Reply to
dbp

Hmmmm....hadn't seen that previously. Looks like it's work but they're surely proud of 'em. The one I had seen a while back were 3rd party and about a third that...

I still can't find that -- I spent about an hour yesterday going thru my browser history trying to find a link but no joy...

I did find another full Delco nomograph on the mechanicals and detailed adjustment procedures--mayhaps I'll try again that route.

Reply to
dpb

ng to the point of boiling battery dry, have adjusted it about a half-dozen times and it's either too hot or now not charging fully-enough.

now for the life of me can't seem to locate it. Seems like several of the parts places had it but none of the links in my history seem to fi nd it now and I can't recall the manufacturer (was 3rd

HOW MANY MORE TIMES ARE YOU GONNA POST THIS????????????

Reply to
Jerry.Tan