Replacement screws for a GE panel

One of the screws for my GE panel cover is stripped out. Are those screws available, can I just use any old screw as a replacement - so long as it fits of course?

I don't have the model for my panel unfortunately, it isn't clearly marked - TRP1210? it takes TQL breakers.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hi, Sounds like you are talking aout electrical panel? You can use any screw for sure.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yup, it's my main panel. For some reason I was expecting to have to replace the screws with some odd, off-the wall screw that met stringent UL requirements or some damn thing.

Reply to
Eigenvector

The thread is standard and will match up to various screw head types at the hardware store. You want a "truss head" to match the old one.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

OK if it fits. If the threads in the panel are stripped you will have to tap out to the next larger size.

Reply to
Nick Hull

replying to Tony Hwang, Sportsdad7 wrote: NO, you can't just use any screw. They MUST be blunt tip. No point is allowed.

Reply to
Sportsdad7

Better late than never. You're responding to a TEN YEAR OLD POST! (that was already answered)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Although, to his credit, he is the only one that mentioned "blunt tip".

Everybody else just basically said "any screw will do".

Here's a good reason why "any screw will *not* do":

DerbyDad03

Although I understand the reason for safety and codes, most screws (on home breakerboxes) are in the corners. And wires don't easily make right-angle bends. Just my perception on it.

Reply to
bob_villa

Damn. Whoever wired that panel along with the idiot who used that screw, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them in the future. I see what looks to be neutral, ground, and two hot legs, against the right side and bottom of the panel. Hmm.. another smaller wire mebbe and/or some insulation at the bottom as well. Either way, it looks like shit.

Reply to
Diesel

No, but, sometimes a lazy electrician/wannabe and/or home owner who doesn't care about the pleasant looking panel aspects might leave wires chilling a bit too far towards the sides. Some might say parts of the code is all about keeping stupid from being dead.

Reply to
Diesel

Grind?? What's a diagonal cutter for? My dad broke the handles opff a few trying to trim screws that were too big or too hard. He generally kept a few notched ones (made by believing someone else when they said the power was off) for that kind of use. (worked pretty good as wire strippers too)

Reply to
clare

A pointless comment...seriously?

Reply to
bob_villa

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 20:15:25 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa wrote in

And others might say the "code" is mostly about putting $$$ in the pockets of electricians.

Reply to
CRNG

in his home when a small plane crashed into his house killing both he, the pilot and the 14 illegal aliens stuffed into every corner of the Cessna 17

  1. He was survived by a wife, 2 ex wives, 12 children, 5 dogs, 10 cats, 3 h orses, a herd of zebra and 632 gerbils. The gerbils were so distraught, tha t one by one, they dived into the running garbage disposal in the kitchen s ink. They were very polite and patient, each of them waited for the squeak and grinding noise of the preceding gerbil to stop before diving into the d isposal. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

t have any extra panel screws in my hardware kit on the truck. ^_^

If you cut the head off a nail with dikes, and chuck it in a drill...it wil l cut pretty well. Not the best choice...I think the picture is a "set-up" and not a real life happening. You could probably find thousands of wrong s crews that have never caused a problem. My opinion, and I wouldn't choose a pointed screw for a panel...

Reply to
bob_villa

An dI'll call bullshit on that. Doesn't take an electrician to install things to code. When they don't allow you to do anything to your own electrical system, THAT is just to line electricians pockets

Reply to
clare

Oren posted for all of us...

They were very polite and patient, each of them waited for the squeak and grinding noise of the preceding gerbil to stop before diving into the disposal. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

That's being blunt...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I'm not so sure about putting money in electricians pockets in so much as keeping themselves in a job and better the pockets of the electrical industry. The electricians themselves are the low person on the totem pole. GE, Fluke, IDEAL, etc, make tons more when the code changes requiring this or that type of breaker, etc. We have to have arc fault breakers in bedrooms now because many fires start in the bedroom (which doesn't automatically mean the fire was electrical in nature or that an arc fault could have prevented it if it was).

A few years ago, when we first started installing these damn things inside the panel, they were very sensitive and an treadmill, etc, could cause them to trip. That forced the home owner to buy an additional surge suppression strip that might (didn't help in one or two cases) prevent the breaker from tripping when they turn on their vacuum and/or the treadmill or some other piece of exercise equipment. The sensitivity issue has been cleared up somewhat, but, you're still talking about a breaker thats $30 or more vs a standard breaker that's around $3 or so.

Another code change is the way the receptacle is supposed to face you. Ground pin up now. The reason being I was told.. In case someone has metal things hanging from the wall, if one should happen to come loose and side down the wall between the plug and the outlet,it'll hit the ground pin and most likely, neutral; no short circuit condition. And, if it does hit the hot wire, it's going to send it right to ground. This all assumes two things: Someone has something plugged into the outlet and they have a metal poster of some kind also hanging on the wall above this same outlet.

Okay.. so, when was the last time you've seen someone who had a street sign or something mounted to their wall like a poster? What's the chances should someone have one, that it would actually stay towards the wall while it slides all the way down the wall to get between the plug of something and the outlet?

Reply to
Diesel

Diesel has brought this to us :

Could also be a metal wire for hanging a picture on the wall.

Some newer plugs and outlets are designed with skirts and accomodating recesses to make this problem moot.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

To the best of my knowlege there is no mention of the mounting position of receptacles in past or present code. HOWEVER - the design of the current receptacles with the ground screw location makes it sensible to install with the "U" ground down If a ground were to somehow come loose, gravity would not cause it to possibly sag onto the live conductor. Not likely, you say?? Perhaps you are right, but no mopre unlikely than a traffic sign being hung above and sliding down - getting between the plug and receptacle, and shorting across the blades of the plug.. And read the lettering cast into the plasticfront and back. The "strip gauge" lettering on the back is right side up with the "U" ground down - as is the "15 amp"

125 volt" and "U/L" logo on the front. The UL listing number on the "top" tab is also oriented to be right side up with the ground down.

The manufacturer's name (in my case Leviton) on the newest product is upside down when installed ground down - on some older units even that was oriented to be read clearly with the ground dowm.

Reply to
clare