I too had heard or read somewhere that the outlet grounding lug position sh
ould be on the top so that if anything was to fall on something plugged int
o the outlet it would hit the grounding lug rather than having a 50-50 chan
ce of landing on the hot lead. This supposedly made it safer.
On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 9:42:57 PM UTC-5, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
should be on the top so that if anything was to fall on something plugged i
nto the outlet it would hit the grounding lug rather than having a 50-50 ch
ance of landing on the hot lead. This supposedly made it safer.
Wouldn't it be easier to make a receptacle plate that can deflect from abov
e or below? A raised "V ridge. I've seen electric beds that have short-circ
uited an outlet from below when being raised.
email@example.com explained on 9/3/2016 :
Electricians wiring up rooms in a supermarket here in New Hampshire
told me that when I asked them put them upside down. I thought it
rather odd at the time because many three pronged plugs which lay sort
of flat against the wall when plugged in now have the wires exit the
plug straight up which puts strain on them.
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 3:31:31 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
I wouldn't be laughing if I were you. You made a post that there has
been a "code change" that now requires receptacles to go in ground pin
up. Tossing it out that way to everyone reading it, implies that it's
an NEC code change, which is why I said I was skeptical and asked if
anyone has an NEC cite. Now you have now switched to some inspectors
requiring this locally, but unable to give you any cite to anything
that has it in the code. If you're an electrician, you don't have
access to the local codes? And note, I'm not saying you should
argue with the inspector, only that when you post here that code
now requires that receptacles go in ground pin up, it's misleading
if it's just some local inspectors and you can't even find it in
code anywhere. It leaves people reading this thinking that if
they're putting in a receptacle it has to go ground up.
And IDK what's going on in NH, but I agree with Rafters that the
flat cables I've seen are going to be a mess when used upside down.
More people will probably get hurt tripping over those cables then
were ever hurt from a metal plate somehow falling down onto outlet
pins. I've tripped over cords, I've never had a metal plate fall
and short out a plug before.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.