security cameras

It's very useful to an OP when a consensus of opinion develops. One or two answers could be just as clueless as the question.

Reply to
Graham.

Or those that rate their own opinions so much more than others' that they don't even bother reading them...

Reply to
Jimk

I wish to run a Neos security camera from a 12v supply. The following is from the spec sheet Power Adapter: Input 110-240V (AC/DC) Output 5V/1000mA

What power 12v to 240v dc inverter would i require ?

Is it likely to be as fussy as a computer would be (pure sine wave )?

Reply to
fred

If, as the wording implies, you have a mains adapter then ditch this and look for a 12-to-5V DC-DC converter. The "bargain basin" approach might be to re-purpose a car USB adapter.

Reply to
nothanks

Can you not just supply the 5v from the 12v via a regulator? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Why not run them on a 12V to 5V power supply?

e.g. a car USB socket

Andy Burns

5W

Factor in a little bit extra for efficiencies and losses and the fact you probably don't to run it balls out 24/7 for reliability.

Reply to
mm0fmf

What is the input voltage of the camera. 12v or 5v.

There are plenty of either 12v or 5v power supplies which can be used.

Reply to
RobH

<minor rant>There seems to be a lot of echo here. WTF do people bother writing replies that are identical to an earlier reply? All it does is add clutter.</minor rant>
Reply to
nothanks

Avoid that problem entirely and get a 12 Volt DC --> 5V/1000mA converter.

USB charger wot plugs into the cigarette lighter should do it...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Is this a 12V DC supply. If so there are lots of modules designed for car use that input a nominal 12V DC and output 5V DC. Look on Ebay for "12V to USB" module

Reply to
alan_m

Because Gareth, you've been killfiled?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

very easy: they see the query and reply, later they continue reading the thread and find some has given a similar answer. Usually happen with people wo don't read tehnewsgroup very oftern

Reply to
charles

wouldn;t be very effcient though , which could be important if yuor 12V is coming from a battery.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Use a buck regulator which will be 85% + efficient. Plenty of cheap ones on amazon pack of 8 for a tenner:-

Andy Bennet

yes that is cheap, we ran a lab where studetns had to build a buck converter last year.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have no idea why you've said that ... ?

Reply to
nothanks

As far as I know those can and do generate RFI if they are el ccheapo. I was not aware it was from a battery though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)