Weed trimmer rattles

Little Homelite Bandit, in service maybe 10-12 years. Flex-cable takes about 70 degree curve between motor and cutting head.

It rattles when running. Could be in the tiny 2-stroke motor, but I suspect something in the drive.

How do ya lube the flex-cable? I surveyed the manual, couldn't find anything. Looking at it, all I could figger was to drain the gas, turn upside-down, pull the cutting head, and drip oil down the shaft.

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

I would guess its is fraying and ready to break.

Reply to
ransley

Not sure about the Homelite, but can say about my Sears/Poulan weedeater. The flex cable ends have a square drive. Pull the lower head off the shaft and remove the flex drive. Lube well with a light lithium grease. Hold motor end down & reinsert flex cable. Turn cable until you feel the square drive drop into the clutch. Reinsert the lower head, turning the drive shaft until you feel it engage the flex shaft. I would guess that your homelite has a similar design.

KC

Reply to
KC

Got the flex-cable out the top instead of the bottom. Had to dissemble the handle/trigger. Rest was per above.

Thanks, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw