Home owner insurance... ?

I have State Farm here in Alabama... I believe theres a problem with my breaker box or something.... my lights have always "flickered" since I bought this house 11yrs ago but never really had no trouble. I would say within the last few months weird things have happened ie vcrs eats' tapes as if the machine was broke! I notice a burning electrical smell around the breaker box but the breakers are not hot to the touch. But yet I have shot about 3 light bulbs just within 24hrs, Question is... should I contact my insurance agent now that I feel that my house may be in danger of a fire hazard? or do I wait until it may eventually catch on fire. Do most insurances help us homeowners with possible hazards? should I put in a claim for what I think is a problem or should I wait for a fire?

Reply to
Brian Fisher

I feel I am being hooked by a troll, but..here goes..

No..you are supposed to be diligent enough to call a damn electrician BEFORE you have a problem....like a fire.

Reply to
CBhvac

Call the electric utility. They may be very helpful.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Doesn't anybody read their policy any more? Mitigate your damages dumb ass.

Reply to
Nath Newton

Unless your insurance agent is a licensed electrician, you're getting ahead of the game.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Call the power company, you probably have a bad neutral.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

I have had a electrician here before.. The main breaker on the panel burnt out. They used another un-used breaker and made that the main breaker.

Reply to
Brian Fisher

Insurance companies cover damages caused through no fault of your own.

Improper or lack of maintainence isn't covered, you're responsible for correcting known problems and defects not your insurance company.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Call somebody quickly; the electric company or the insurance company can both recommend qualified electricians. All of the stuff you mentioned might just be coincidence, but they are certainly bad signs.

I also am unsure what you mean by a main breaker burning out, and using an unused breaker as a main. You couldn't have had an extra 100a breaker sitting there unused, it would have had to be a new replacement. You you mean that part of the box was damaged beyond use, the electrician just used another place for the main breaker? You might need a new panel.

Without seeing (or at least getting a meaningful description) I don't know what you have there, but I would be inclinded to shut off the main breaker until you get someone in to see it.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, if you contact your insurance agent, be prepared to immediately place a call to an electrician. If not, and you do have a fire, then your insurance company can refuse to pay because you knew there was a problem, yet did nothing to fix it.

Your insurance has no coverage to repair things like that. The entire cost will be out of your pocket. If you noticed it right after you moved into the house, how come you didn't go back on the previous owners to repair it?

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

What?? Usually there is only one breaker in the panel large enough to be the main. They had to have put a different one in there, or else you are seriously overloading it now.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton