hello fresh

Has anyone tried hello fresh meal service? What were the results? I am a single old man and would like to eat at home but don`t want to plan or cook a meal. Whadda you think?

You must have looked at their web site:
https://www.hellofresh.com/
I heard about it on the radio and sounds good but I would expect it to be pricey and you still have to prepare and cook what they send you.
On 09/22/2018 06:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Get an Anova Nano sous vide cooking setup. https://anovaculinary.com
Sign up with Whirlpool Corp's Yummly.com website.  They have a bazillion recipes that can easily be adapted to sous vide.
Cooking doesn't get any easier or more delicious than sous vide.
On 09/22/2018 06:14 AM, Bob wrote:

I don't know about the delicious part but that introduces several layers of complexity to my usual throw it in a cast iron pan method.
On 9/22/2018 1:29 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yah, I skip the Maillard reaction in the skillet.  Dump it straight from the Ziploc bag to the plate, sauce and all.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 08:14:46 -0400, Bob

". To cook sous vide, food is placed in a sealable bag and cooked in a water bath. "
I don't see how you can get a broiled steak, broiled hamburger, broiled chicken, fried fish when something is in a bag in a water bath.
My mother used to boil hotdogs until I talked her into pan-frying them (no oil needed) and they were a lot better.

Is yummy and anova the same thing?
There *are* things meant to be made in the oven that I microwave. Doesn't come out the same but I consider it an alternate recipe.
Microwaved fish doesn't have the broiled exterior but the fish is the same afaict and good. I can't think of other examples now.
I don't think my micorwave is broken but I have to cook things less than the low end of the suggested cooking time to get what I want.
On Sat 22 Sep 2018 10:47:30a, micky told us...

Some sous vide users absolutely rave about it. I have no experience with it.
I don't see how either, but I've been told by some that once the meat is cooked by sous vide, it is then brownede/broiled/fried after the fact. I can't see that happening to fried fish. I once cnsidered buying sous vide equipment, but knowing how I prefer to cook, figured I would use it once or twice and then shelve it.

Pan frying or broiling hot digs are better methods than boiling, IMO. We bought a Johnsonville sausage cooker to quickly cook and brown sausages, and it works with hot dogs too. Removable cooking plates go right in the dishwasher. The sausages brown better than on the gas grill.

I use my microwave every day, but I never use it to cook meat, fish, or fowl. I just don't like the results compared to traditional cooking methods.

What is the wattage of your microwave? Ours is 1350Watts. When a recipew calls for "full power" I have to set mine to power level 8 instead of 10. Power level 1 will still allow some foods to simmer.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 18:12:21 -0000 (UTC), Wayne

My mother probably learned from her mother, who probably learned from her mother around 1900 in eastern Europe. I think they were fairly well off but the gas broiler probably had not been invented yet. Of course pans had been invented, and fire too.

I think she liked it better that way too. I was imitating carnivals or some place I'd seen it done.

I like meat rare and sometimes I take the food out of the broiler before it's ready and I might finish cooking it in the mw. So the outside browning has already taken place.
The first mw I had, a Model 2, Amana Radarrange, I cooked beef in a few times and it was terrible. But with all the later mws, it was just mediocre. I wonder what the difference was.
Chicken too came out terrible with that first mw. Now it comes out fine except the skin is not crisp and that's the best part of a chicken.

I thought they only went up to 1100. But if yours is bigger mine might be too. I think the label is in the back so it will take a while to check.
I don't know the rating becuase i didn't buy it. I was at someoone's home and it was sitting on its side in the driveway. The wife had melted some plastic in it, and even though I guess she'd cleaned it and there was no sign of that anymore, she thought it was in the air vents, iirc, and was afraid to cook with it for the children because she thought the plastic would be bad for them. I didn't try to talk her out of that because it seemed hopeless, what do I know-she might be right, and they already had another one. She said I could have it.
I ran it for 10 minutes with a bowl of water in it and declared it repaired. Occasionally I would wonder if she was smarter than I was and I was going to die a painful death 10 years from then, but I got over that.

I have different power levels too. I should see if 1 makes anything simmer.
I always use 10 because I have no patience -- and I manage to plan and defrost in advance. If I haven't I eat something else.
On 09/22/2018 02:55 PM, micky wrote:

Pan fried kielbasa doesn't sound that good to me. Most European sausages aren't the pre-cooked tubes of mechanically separated chicken that are hotdogs.
On 9/22/2018 5:57 PM, rbowman wrote:

I like it on the grill.
On Sat 22 Sep 2018 04:17:20p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I like mine on the grill too but I've been very happy with the electric sausage grill I bought. It cooks and browns thoroughly and quickly, andno need to brave the weather if it's not good. :-)

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 5:56:16 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

Fresh kielbasa or smoked? I often pan-fry smoked kielbasa to give it a nice browning.
Cindy Hamilton
On 09/23/2018 05:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Fresh. You've got to boil the grease out of it.
On Sat 22 Sep 2018 01:55:15p, micky told us...

When it comes to speed settings in a microwave, faster is not always better.
FWIW, I like my beef cooked medium, pork and fowl cooked completely but not dried out, and fish always fried and of course completely done.
As I said before, I never cook meat, fowl, or fish in the microwave, so discussiong it is a moot point.
I use my microwave to cook many things and the speed I use is always appropriate to whatever I'm cooking.
In recipes you cannot always rely on what microwave setting is advised since they vary considerably.

On 9/23/2018 11:48 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Better to run the microwave oven on lower power for many things other wise something like a cup of water will heat unevenly and bump and blurp out the contents.
Frozen pizza can be thawed in one minute on high but tastes much better for a few minutes at half power.
I like the microwave for heating things up but not cooking them.
On 09/23/2018 09:48 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Never, never try to cook chicken livers in a microwave...
On 9/22/2018 1:47 PM, micky wrote:

You bring it to an internal cooked temperature, then you sear the steak or whatever on the grill to sear the outside and not overcook or dry the inside.
On 9/22/2018 1:47 PM, micky wrote:

Personal preference I guess.
I usually put a cut of meat and some kind of sauce/marinade into the bag, cook for a few hours and it comes out delicious every time. Takes maybe 2 minutes to assemble the sauce and then 2-3 hours to cook though I usually let it cook a min of 5 hours.
For hot dogs, maybe try something as quick and simple as a pack of hotdogs slitted lengthwise and cooked in your favorite barbecue sauce.
On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 10:07:22 PM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

Definitely. Your philosophy is pretty much the exact opposite of mine. If there's no browning, meat isn't worth eating.

Cindy Hamilton
On 09/23/2018 05:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That's the problem with crockpots; they're great if you like grey. Or, you can brown up the ingredients first, but then why bother with the crockpot?