fresh air intake

Hello;

Just had a new Goodman air cond/furnace unit put into my home. The contractors cut the existing fresh air intake PVC pipe that used to be connected directly to the old unit, and left it open about 2' from the furnace room ceiling. The pipe has no screen on it anywhere.

Obviously I know nothing about this stuff, but here are my questions anyway ...

1) Does this installation sound like it's to code? (I live in OH.)

2) From Googling, I've seen that some people recommend that the fresh air intake duct should discharge no more than one foot from the floor. Is this true, and if so, why?

3) I've also seen recommendations for putting a couple of 90 degree elbows on the pipe to form a U shape, like a sink trap, to help buffer air coming in (U shape holds denser cold air).

4) Should I just put a coarse screen over the pipe on the outside of the house to keep bugs out etc., or is something else recommended?

Thanks for helping out a novice.

Reply to
Dave

Is the intake outside or inside, it should be outside if you are talking about the combustion air intake, the instructions should be followed for the instalation. #2 you say intake discharge near the floor, you are not clear on your description, intakes intake not discharge, and why the floor. call the city heating inspector you might have had a bad install, you pull a permit and get a free inspection where the city will back you up on contractor issues.

Reply to
ransley

Call and tell the installer that the guys here said to put it outside.

Reply to
ValveJob

One end of the intake is outside, the other side is inside, as usual. The inside part (what I called the "discharge" part, sorry if that was the wrong term) was connected directly to the previous unit; now it is open and ends about two feet from the ceiling, angled at about 45 degrees towards the unit ... in other words, the contractors just cut the pipe near the old unit and left it as is.

I looked at the installation instructions that came with the new unit. It describes a "direct vent installation" where the pipe is connected directly to the unit's combustion air intake, or an "indirect vent installation" where it recommends putting a 90 degree piece on the unit's intake just to prevent it from being blocked. It doesn't say anything about what to do with the inside end of the pipe.

I Googled and found references to the pipe ending a foot or less above the floor, which is why I mentioned that. Who knows the reason why.

Thanks for the replies folks ....

Reply to
Dave

If an installer messed up something simple I would want the building inspector to go over the whole instal. You could say on your call to the city inspector the installer said he would take care of any required permits. Even if you need to pay for a permit it is well worth while getting, as you get a free inspection, for your own saftey

Reply to
ransley