Cloudy water w/ Tiny Bubbles--- in my pool...

I have an AG 16' pool that I'm trying to figure out why I can't get the water clear. It's 4' deep and I can not see past 1/2 way down, the water is white-ish. Also, I noticed there are tiny bubbles on the sides of the pool, almost like carbonation in my beer. These bubbles don't seem to actively bubble to the surface. But if I brush off the bubbles, they seem to be back the next day. But I never remember seeing bubbles on the sides of anyone else's pool.

I have a Hayward sand filter on it with a 1hp pump, more than enough flow for a 5000 gal pool..

I've had my water tested at the local shop, most everything looked good. I asked about the milky water, no luck.

This all started 3 weeks ago, I left for 3 days, with the pool cover on. My crystal clear water turned green. At that time I only had a pleated cartridge filter. I shocked, changed filters and attacked as best as I could. I got the Hayward 2nd hand, and that seemed to help with removing the remains of the algae after my shock treatments. But my water is milky. I may have overused a clarifying agent, I think I used it 2 - 3 times in one week, I was then told only once a week.. Could this be a contributing factor???

Any info on milky-white water with sidewall bubbles??

Thanks in advance.. Mike

Reply to
scannit

Sounds like dead, bleached algae. Needs more chlorine and filtering to break down and filter out. Get pH down to 7.0 and avoid cyanurates when you get the chlorine up.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

How long are you running the pump/filter?

Reply to
John Keiser

I was running the filter 24/7, figuring it would finally get out the suspended items, no luck. I would backwash every morning until the sight glass would run clear. I then started to run the pump for only 8

- 10 hrs. When the pump was off overnight, I brushed the sides to remove the bubbles thinking that somehow the pumpaction was causing the bubbles, there were bubbles on the walls the next morning. The sand is new in the filter.

5 days ago I added a clarifier, I was told this was a once a week treatment. Reading the product label warns that overuse can cause the opposite effect. I figure that if I overused this 2 weeks ago, by backing off it would hopefully resolve the problem, no luck..

I bought a DPD free chlorine test, in addition to my OTO. The OTO shows about 3.0 ( I liquid shocked yesterday), the DPD shows between

1.5 & 3.0.. One item of confusion on my part, I thought the DPD test was a 2 pill test. The one I have is a 1 pill test. The pill supply packets have DPD No. 1 printed on it. Am I able to use my OTO to show total chlorine and the single pill DPD for the free chlorine? The pH shows about 7.6..

One previous response was:

Do I need to drop my pH and raise my chlorine to work this out???

Thanks in advance.. Mike

Reply to
scannit

Reply to